London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
8 messages
30/03/2014 at 20:58

I really fancy getting some rootrainers because everyone says they do a really good job, but the only ones i can find look really flimsy. Are they worth the cost, they look like they wont last two years!

Cheers guys

30/03/2014 at 21:17

This is my first year of using them, so can't comment on durability yet.  But the inside of old loo rolls do the trick too, and you plant the whole thing.

30/03/2014 at 21:27

I used previously-used ones a couple of years back when I was working in a NT garden.  They were indeed pretty flimsy and some of them got damaged although we managed to bodge some of them up.  I wouldn't buy them,  Loo rolls are bigger, free and biodegradeable.  Or make your own paper ones out of newspaper.

30/03/2014 at 21:41

I've used mine for sweetpeas for the past three years. I like them. For certain plants that like long root runs I think they are ideal. They are fine if you are careful with them. They won't stand rough handling.

31/03/2014 at 14:08

I also use mine for sweet peas and have used the same ones for two years and will definitely get another few years out of them yet. I agree with fidgetbones as long as you are careful with them they will last several years. I find they do a great job with sweet peas or seeds that will have long  roots 

31/03/2014 at 15:03

Probably my hamfistedness then!

31/03/2014 at 15:18

My root trainers are worth it they have lasted a long while even if I managed to slip a bit of the tray on top they are all held together in the frame or green tray under as I have a few different ones even a row trainer

I sow lots of runner French beans and sweetcorn they are so easy to get the plants out and plant and the roots are great, I normally use a hand held bulb planter to quick make hole the plant them out

Here is a video about them

http://rootrainers.co.uk/rootrainers/index.php

31/03/2014 at 18:07
Good idea about the bulbplanter - must remember that !
email image
8 messages