London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
26/03/2014 at 21:41

I've got layered cuttings from my "climbing" rose. One's been in a pot for weeks now, and is clearly growing despite a total lack of activity after being potted. The other one's only been in its pot a few days, and didn't seem to have any roots on it at all when I transferred it from bag to pot but still has healthy-looking leaves.

According to one guy's video, it only takes two weeks to get a good root system established in the bag ready for cutting. I gave them months and didn't see the mass of roots that the honeysuckle put out when I layered it. (Nice of the honeysuckle, really, to put fat, white roots against the sides of the clear plastic jar so that I could see it was ready to be moved!) Still, they seem to have survived.

Next step: giving them to someone else who wants to plant them next to an arch in the hope they'll grow up it. The big question is how long to leave them in their pots to develop roots before I hand them over. I'd like to be sure the new one's not going to shrivel up and die on her, and I reckon that means leaving it to get over the trauma of being cut off the parent plant and put out its own roots. The other one, I suppose, would go now. It's been in that pot a month and is obviously growing. If I wait too long, though, it gets to be a bit late in the year for planting rose bushes, doesn't it?

Should I give her the older one now and hang onto the new one until autumn, give her both now, hang onto both until autumn or next spring or what?

27/03/2014 at 22:00

I think two weeks for a root system to develop is a bit optimistic.

I've never done roses but other layerings I just pin to the ground and leave them to sort themselves out over a season.

For potted ones, I'd want to see roots at the bottom of the pot before I planted them out. Have you cut the umbellical cord of the one you transferred from bag to pot?

The leaves developing is not necessarily a sign of roots developing, don't depend on it. Give them time. These are next yea's plants, this year's babies.

27/03/2014 at 22:45

I'm like nut, I take cuttings and leave them almost a year before doing anything with them. I get the unwanted florists buckets, black plastics ones you see outside garages and shops, I get them free, and just plunge the cuttings into ordinary garden soil with some added grit. I get very few failures and when I finally tip them out they're ready to go straight in. Patience is the key.

27/03/2014 at 22:48

After re-reading the post I'm not sure if we're talking about cuttings or layering. But it all takes time

28/03/2014 at 06:59

Maybe we're talking about 'air-layering' - the talk of 'bags' suggests that to me.

Although why one would bother to air-layer a rose when cuttings strike so easily I'm not sure 

28/03/2014 at 18:20

Yes, air-layering, and it's precisely because cuttings strike easily.

Sssssstrrrrike one!Sssssstrrrrike two!
Sssssstrrrrike three! They're out! Try something different.

Yes, they've been separated from the parent. With the honeysuckle, it was in a clear tub (left over from buying dried mealworms to tide the birds over until the live ones got delivered) of compost and I fairly quickly got a visible root network against the sides of the tub. With these roses, it's been the inner bags of breakfast cereal packets, taped up and wired to the trellis, and they're just not producing roots, even in a whole season. They grow, somehow, but sitting in the bags they're not producing any roots I can see. For all I know, I am taking cuttings.

Sounds like they'll be staying with me this year, eh?

28/03/2014 at 19:17

Perhaps I should give that a try CN, my cuttings are a bit iffy

31/03/2014 at 17:26

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41008.jpg?width=536&height=350&mode=max

That one's been there since Valentine's Day. Looking good so far. Not sure the nearest branch is growing at all, but the other two are.

email image
8 messages