Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Roses growing through Hazle mounds at Chelsea

watching Chelsea last week in the laurent perrier garden they had the most gorgeous roses growing in mounds through a framework of hazle, I've never seen anything like this before but it was fantastic way of training roses as it gave some height and structure to the garden but in a natural way, they looked amazing I would love to get some any ideas where from????????

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

The simplest thing would be to make one, by buying some flexible hazel rods, and sticking them in the soil, bending them over, and tying or weaving them together. It's a challenging little project.

If you want to buy one, then they are available commercially (possibly made of metal).

The concept seems to have been invented in 1984 by one Lady Tollemache of Helmington Hall:

"Lady Tollemarche’s new rose support, her brilliant idea, simple but effective, is the perfect way to have the best display from your old-fashioned roses. Use one and you will be amazed at how better you can see and smell these beautifully formed, highly scented varieties, whether as simple specimens or in your mixed borders. Much admired by fellow gardeners and visitors to the gardens, the Helmingham Rose Support system is now available in kit form with full assembly instructions."

I believe you can buy them (in metal), for £35, through the Helmington Hall Gardens website: The Helmington Rose Support

That page also has a slide show of images of roses growing over rose domes.

Given the new found popularity of the concept I'd be surprised if hazel ones don't find their way into garden centres before too long, though I don't know of any suppliers.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    http://ourfrenchgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/bend-it-shape-it-anyway-you-want-it.html

Here's a link that shows how to make them. A friend of mine makes all of hers, mostly for herbaceous perennials, in early spring. They look lovely through the whole season. I've made a few, really should do more!
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Splendid idea, shall try that with my next lot of hazel prunungs - the contorted on should make a fun support or two. 

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Oooh, thanks for links, folks. I may well get out the pruning saw and loppers this afternoon.

You can use other stuff for the whippy tie- in bits, eg dogwood or Virginia creeper prunings. Beware of using willow for the uprights though...it roots VERY easily!
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I've looked but I can't find the instructions.

I've done willow weaving and it will root if fresh but not if older and dried.  However it doesn't last long.  One good winter is enough to wreck an obelisk.  http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Obelixx_be/0710%20Willow%20weaving/?action=view&current=20070415016.jpg

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • thanks for all your replies, just need to get my hands on some hazle, in figrats link it looks very simple but I'm sure mine would not end up looking so natural, would probably have to resort to double sided sticky tape!!

Wouldn't worry, it'll be covered with roses!