London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
10/03/2014 at 15:05

I have an external pipe going from my first floor to a soak-away in the garden to get rid of the condensate from my central heating boiler.

Is it a good idea to buy a water butt and redirect this condensate water to save it for the garden?

10/03/2014 at 16:22

sounds a good Idea anything that saves water .

10/03/2014 at 16:56

Can think of no reason why not - but I'm no water expert - but offhand it seems a good idea. It will be particularly clean I imagine, and thus very good for seedlings which tend to damp off with the bugs that can gather in rain water if left for a while.  Keep it all covered, and I imagine you are on to a winner. 

10/03/2014 at 17:14

Erica..............I can understand your desire to save water......my supply is metered so I am always after water saving ideas too

However, I'd avoid using the condensate for the garden........as it is produced from the flue gases, it can be acidic..........so could be like putting vinegar on the garden.

It is usually recommended that the condensate goes to a soakaway ( as yours does ) and not even into a grey water system.

11/03/2014 at 08:42

I've not heard the suggestion about condensate water going to a soakaway before.  Very few people will have access to one.  I can see the logic, just don't see it as a practical option for most people.

11/03/2014 at 22:27

Well, I have read up on a couple of sites about this, and indeed I was incorrect and answered without finding out - for which I apologise.  There seems to be a variety of opinions as to how acidic this condensate can be, some saying it is only a little bit and others saying it can be corrosive.  It seems that the overall opinion is to use the soak away and not use it in the garden - unless you find out further. 

14/03/2014 at 13:16

yes that would be brill. If your on a water meter, a little bit of money going into pipping could save you a lot in the long term on the water bill. If your not on a meter, it is still a good thing to do. These days we have so much rain but on the days with little rain, you will be glad you got it.

14/03/2014 at 17:55

Thank you for all the replies. I think the idea is a no-no.

In fact I do not have a water meter because the water board came years ago and told me I am not suitable for "meteorisation".

I think I will plant a fern in the dark damp spot in the garden where the soakaway is and see what happens.

14/03/2014 at 18:32

An excellent idea Erica................now, the only question you have to worry about is....."which Fern".............that's a nice problem tho........there are so many beauties these days

email image
9 messages