London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
6 messages
06/05/2014 at 19:16

Some time ago I posted a question asking whether secateurs should be stored with the blades open or locked shut. Opinions varied and there was no real consensus that I can remember.

I can now report that I have come to a conclusion. Unless you are a very careful and organised person, keep them closed! Otherwise you might do what I did today: I had the secateurs lying in my tool caddy, with the blades open. I reached into the caddy to find some item lying at the bottom and - you know what' s coming - my finger caught the sharpest part of my Felcos, which sliced into my right-hand index finger.

I am typing this without my index finger, which is now bandaged up. And from now on I will close the secateurs when I put them away!

06/05/2014 at 19:18

GM 

I always store mine closed just because I think it's better for them but you're right - that's the sort of thing that could be very nasty. I hope you're ok 

06/05/2014 at 19:23

Oh Green Magpie - I almost didn't want to read what happened - it made me cringe.

Hope your finger will be OK.  

06/05/2014 at 19:36

Ouch! Yes, we have all had a taste of something similar. I was once pruning in a hurry (never prune in a hurry) and pruned my index finger very nicely. Secateurs are surprisingly efficient, aren't they?

06/05/2014 at 19:57

I tend to leave mine open for a while after I've used them........especially for "sappy" stuff........... a quick wipe clean and once they are completely dry, close up.

I don't always remember my own advice tho

06/05/2014 at 21:27

I have removed the closing mechanism on my secateurs so they have to be stored open. Being left handed I got sick and tired of them locking shut every time I used them. One just has to learn to be careful where one leaves them.

email image
6 messages