Start a new thread
yarrow2

Lost my good secateurs.  Phone rang, put them down, rushed into the house, came back out - senior moment, can't find them.

Bought this very cheap set.  First took out the ones on the right without looking closely at them and found of course I couldn't chop as they don't have blades on both sides whilst the other pair do.

This is probably the stupidest question I've ever come up with so far - but what are these for with a blade on one side and plastic on the other?  (I know I'm going to slap myself on the forehead when someone puts me right on this)!

Supernoodle
That's handy. I did wonder what anvil ones were for but never got round to looking up. Does anyone regularly use the anvil ones?

i tried anvil ones, prefer bypass myself

Advertisement

hogweed

Bypass for me too.

yarrow2

Ah - thanks for this.  I can't get the anvil ones to cut anything though.  Will need to practice or maybe it's harder because they were cheap as chips ones.

Lyn

If they were mine, I would wrap red insulation tape around the handles, much easier to spot in the garden.

Fairygirl

I had a pair of anvil ones years ago which my  Mum bought me but I never found they cut cleanly so I stick with bypass. Perhaps they were poorer quality though and just didn't function very well.

I have to get the ratchet ones, think mine are bypass, either way if they last more than a year, im doing well!
artjak

I got some ratchet anvil ones at The Royal Norfolk Show about 2/3 years ago - for about £4.5 i don't use them as my main secateurs, but they have lasted well and can tackle really thick material. Sadly there is no manufacturers name on them.

My by-pass ones are Wilkinson Sword with a rolling handle and were pretty cheap and have lasted years. I just wish these things were a smidgen smaller for women's hands (then they would probably colour them pink)

artjak

ps; the ratchet anvil ones are not good on thin green material only good for large woody stuff.

Ahh that must be what ive got then, i tend to have to use scissors for thin stuff
Supernoodle

I'm tempted to try a ratchet anvil type.  At least would stop me trying my bypass on inappropriate wood! Artjak, I treated myself to a felco earlier in the year. They do a smaller lighter version (no 6) of the most popular for slightly smaller hands. And they avoided the temptation to colour it pink or purple!

I would reccomend the ratchet ones to anyone, recently converted my mom too

Advertisement

yarrow2

Lyn good idea on the red tape.  Must do that for all my small stuff.

artjak

Supernoodle I was always 'losing' my screwdriver on building sites, then my sister bought me one with a handle covered in roses; it NEVER went missing

But I would hate to have to buy pink or purple garden or carpentry tools just because they fit a woman's hand I will look up Felco No 6.

artjak

Just looked it up; beautiful, but pricey and does not have the rotating handle which I have got used to (very weird at first though).