London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
2 messages
27/08/2012 at 10:46

Been an allotmenteer for 7 months

Sowed seeds to close together so is there a dispenser on the market to help or are there any old methods I could try next season to spread out the seeds

27/08/2012 at 19:18

For small seeds I put them in the palm of my left hand which I then sort of 'fold' so that there is a deep crease on the edge about an inch below my little finger - then I move my hand sideways along the row tapping my hand firmly with my right forefinger - the seeds seem to fall out in a neat stream - regulating the speed at which you tap and the speed at which you move your hand determines the closeness of the seeds.

But - we all sow seeds too close together, they always need thinning out and this gives you an opportunity to select strong-growing seedlings and remove the weaker ones.  You can always use them as 'mini'  or 'micro' or whateveritis the chefs are calling the little seedlings they sprinkle on their salads these days.

By the way, congratulations on starting your allotmenteering in such an awful year and not having given up   Join the 'Mad Gardening Club' 

email image
2 messages