London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
4 messages
07/09/2013 at 14:46

We have been given a beautiful wooden (pine maybe?) planter.  It is about 5 ft long and 3 ft across and is on a stand about waist high.  I am so thrilled with it that I really want to try to look after it so that it lasts as long as possible.  It has had 3 good coats of linseed oil and seems to have absorbed as much as poss.  There are some drainage holes in the central bottom plank but am wondering about putting in a layer of gravel now or even, don't laugh, a disposable child's night time bed sheet.  They let moisture out one way only.  Is that a ridiculous idea or would it go some way to keeping the timber drier?

07/09/2013 at 15:32

I would drill some extra holes all over, and a sheet of permeable garden membrane then when you're going to plant it up put a good layer of large crocks on top of the membrane - that way water will drain out quickly, rather than settle on the bottom in a muddy mess and cause rot.  When eventually the bottom does rot, I would imagine it won't be too difficult to put a replacement bottom into it.  

It sounds a lovely planter - what are you going to put in it?

07/09/2013 at 15:47

Good advice from Dove.  I would also suggest lining the inside walls with black plastic or small grade bubble wrap and stapling it to just below compost level as this will reduce water absorption by the wood and, if you use bubble wrap, give an extra bit of insulation against frosts in winter.

07/09/2013 at 17:36

True about a replacement bottom plank really,  just being nostalgic as a gift from our sons & their families.     Good idea for a garden membrane or even one for grandchildren night sheet at the base !   Plus using bubble wrap or similar on lower planks too.

As for what to put in it   ....  so much scope that I am overwhelmed at the moment.  Never ,ever dreamt of having such an incredible piece of kit,  ever !

email image
4 messages