Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sharpening tools...

Most of my tools...hedge clipper, loppers, hoe..etc... have become very blunt. After, unsuccessfully  searching the net for a local tool sharpener, I've bought a sharpening stone and some oil.

How difficult can it be...image...harder than I thought... unless I'm doing it wrong...after what seemed like ages, running the stone along hedge shear blades, they seemed no sharper. I must have 6 pairs of secateurs, at least 4 are blunt, I really don't want to buy another pair...image.   

Tips on sharpening tools, welcome...

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Maybe the oil stone is too fine.. I recall my neighbour using a file to sharpen mine...

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

Try youtube Zoomer. I remember an old friend of my dad's saying that sharpening was an art and something about burrs and stuff.... image Very vague memories as you can see. I know there's an amount of skill involved....or try your local butcher for tips (not supermarket guy). Those boys can work a steel!!!

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Hello Zoomer, if you were driving through Stockton today it would be in shorts, the sun has at last arrived.

Sharpening tools, you need a good medium file and a smooth file. With shears take the bolt out and clamp one half of blade in a vice with the bevel towards you. With the medium file in line with the bevel rub the file forward across the bevel in slow circular movements do not press too hard making sure the file stays flat on the bevel. Now do the same with the smooth file until the cutting edge looks free from nicks. remove the blade and turn so the cutting edge is facing you and rub gently with the smooth file to remove any burrs caused by the first filing. I then run the bevel edge on the oil stone which in my case is boxed so can be clamped in the vice and running the blade along the oil stone, again in a circular motion. Re assemble the shears and make sure the tension is correct I do this by cutting paper as you would with scissors, if it does not cut first time adjust the tension on the bolt which should have a spring washer between the nut and the blade.

It is exactly the same to sharpen secateurs though with some modern types they cannot be taken apart,, there is no need to do that if you do not want to but the sharpening is always from the bevel side and not the back of the blade. Nine times out of ten hardening up the centre bolt gets them back cutting, I found about three times tighten the bolt to once sharpening the blades.

Hoping this gives you an idea as to how it is done any questions come back and I will try to answer them.

Frank.

• Hi, Frank....nice to see you around....what's cooking?? image

Fraid I can't be much use as it's one of those things that is easier to do than explain. I have quite a nice little, well equipped workshop and I sharpen these things (free of charge) for what seems, half the flippin neighbourhood. I'm sure there is someone like me in your area. 

Frank & myself remember mobile bicycle knife & scissor sharpener that used to visit every street.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Somebody came round on Thurs offering a mobile sharpening service - so not necessarily a thing of the past. image Mind you I do live in the sticks in Suffolk image

And he was in a white van - not on a bike - moving with the times image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyxDSgPXaOo

Plenty like this when we were kids.

Hi David, been around a while, had lunch cooked for me today, probably to get over the shock of having one Great Grandchild for 18 years then suddenly two more arrive in three weeks? was it something I ate?  James arrived to my Granddaughter in Canada on Saturday 4th June and one in the Vale of York three weeks ago George. They must all be reading the Bible "go forth and multiply", they will only find love in this family.

My garage is also an engineers workshop the sharpening got done on an electric grinder first though telling people that usually got blue cutting edges on what they sharpened, I would tell them slow and gentle, never worked so easier to do the job for them.

Was sitting outside just too hot, I cannot believe it after what we have had, Looks as if we can invade France tomorrow after all.

Frank.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I wouldn't fancy charging about in full kit in that weather Frank. You'd be cooked in your own juice before you made land. image

• Crikey, Frank.....hope they don't all come round for tea at the same time. image It must be all that gyrating you lot do. 

Mine extends to just one grandson & one granddaughter...both too wrapped in their careers to be thinking of procreating me thinks.

Rack of (Welsh) lamb, home grown spuds (bucket grown) mint sauce etc here.image

Last edited: 05 June 2016 17:10:51

PP climbing into our tin cans in Desert conditions was a bit like a roast in the oven so France here we come. At least the corned dog will be eatable instead of drinkable.

You hit all my spots there David Lamb Home grown spuds and mint sauce. Mine was top side new spuds and fresh veg, the best bit it was cooked for me, just been asked what I want for tea??? Our lot can eat for England. I will give it a miss.

My count David 10 grandchildren and three great grandchildren, think of the birthday costs, where did I go wrong I ask.

Frank.