1 to 20 of 30 messages
03/12/2013 at 21:07

My Bosch 1600 electric shredder (the one with the Archimedes type screw cutting blade) has given up the ghost. They no longer make it (s...s).
Anyone use one of the turbine cutting types?

04/12/2013 at 22:53

Hello Berghill.   I'd been hoping you'd get some answers to this as OH is talking of getting a chipper/shredder.  Have you tried asking on A4A?

05/12/2013 at 09:56

Asked in  few places.

Read this site

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

05/12/2013 at 10:33

I bought a Atco quiet shredder from ebay and after using it to shred two conifers I can recommend it (very quiet indeed) not once did I have to stop  to clear the hopper/blades

the one I have is like this one but in better condition

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATCO-QUIET-SHREDDER-2000-/200997176867?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2ecc5d8623

James

05/12/2013 at 18:00

Bosch took over Atco a while back.

05/12/2013 at 19:17

Let us know how you get on with whatever you choose Berghill.  I have an Alko (impact type) and got a few more years out of it by replacing the blades (I had resharpened the originals so many times that I couldn't believe how much wider a new set was!)  I compost all of my shreddings so it's important that the pieces are as small as possible which makes the crushing type less than ideal.  I'm not at all bothered about how much noise they make, only the size of the output shreddings.  There seem to be a few types out now which use both methods simultaneously but they are rather expensive so I too am interested in how these turbine types perform outside of "suppliers reviews".

05/12/2013 at 20:43

Me too. At 350 squid plus, they need to be GOOD!

I can actually get all the bits for the Screw blade type so I may just repair that one, or at least my mechanically minded neighbour has offered to do it and since he builds aeroplane engines I think he probably can do it.

I already have an impact type and it is useless for the amount and type of material this size of garden produces.

What do other people do with 3 or 4 thousand Miscanthus x hybridus stems?

06/12/2013 at 10:12

I compost everything I can fit in the 2 bins and then each Autumn I have to take about 20 sacks to re-cycling, which gets turned into compost by the Council. Would love a shredder, but no room for more compost bins

06/12/2013 at 10:34

The Miscanthus stems will not compost. There are some at the bottom of one of the piles which are the same as they were when I put them down 5 years ago.

All shreddings are used in the garden. We only send things which will not compost or shred to the Council tip. Things like Rose prunings and persistent rooted stuff.

06/12/2013 at 10:44

I find the flowering stems of grasses shred well but some of the leaves are tough and wind round the innards of the shredder and jam things up. 

06/12/2013 at 18:48

Same problem with tough grasses here nut.  A real "bind" in more than one sense!

06/12/2013 at 19:01

I'm not good with machinery. I had smoke from a belt when I failed to turn the shredder off when it got grass-jammed.  A new belt was required.

06/12/2013 at 20:52

Whatever you do, dont try and shred phormium leaves. They just wrap around the blades and clog it up.

06/12/2013 at 20:57

If you allow the stems of the big Miscanthus to dry, they make fantastic fire lighters for our wood burning stove thing. BUT we have a lot of them! More than we can ever hope to burn.

Shredded stems make wonderful path mulch through our wood though.

06/12/2013 at 20:57

Phormium leaves are just about the worst thing for shredders.The flower stems go through OK though

06/12/2013 at 21:06

Pampas grass leaves have barbs on them, they rip your hands to shreds when they are pulled into the machine.

06/12/2013 at 21:24

It's a painful business altogether Berghill, with the grasses, blackthorn, hawthorn, berberis.....................................and the rest

Then there are some of the cotoneasters that get ripped out  of your hands nearly breaking your wrist.

and the dried off eryngiums that leave prickly bits in  clothes that dig into the flesh later.

and the stuff that's a bit wet and gets stuck so it has to be prodded,that's hard on the back and shoulders for one as short  as me.

07/12/2013 at 09:18

Let's just give up gardening and wrap ourselves in cotton wool and sit on the couch and watch Donty Mon do it.

And don't get me started on Rose prunings!

07/12/2013 at 09:29

But we love it in spite of the pain

11/12/2013 at 20:51

I've had similar experience to NutC and FidgetB re: phormium leaves! A real xxxx pain-in-the-....  anywhere near the shredder!! Ditto goes for really long fibrous palm leaves (fronds?). Wet or dry spells CLOGGED BLADES!! I put mine into the garage/ glory hole (aka shed) until they are really dry then burn 'em to a frizzle in the jolly old incinerator - but be sure to pop the lid/chimney on smartly, otherwise the hot embers fly a mile into the air!

1 to 20 of 30 messages