Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Shredder

My Bosch 1600 electric shredder (the one with the Archimedes type screw cutting blade) has given up the ghost. They no longer make it (s...s).
Anyone use one of the turbine cutting types?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Hello Berghill.   I'd been hoping you'd get some answers to this as OH is talking of getting a chipper/shredder.  Have you tried asking on A4A?

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Asked in  few places.

Read this site

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

• I bought a Atco quiet shredder from ebay and after using it to shred two conifers I can recommend it (very quiet indeed) not once did I have to stop  to clear the hopper/blades

the one I have is like this one but in better condition

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATCO-QUIET-SHREDDER-2000-/200997176867?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2ecc5d8623

James

Bosch took over Atco a while back.

• Let us know how you get on with whatever you choose Berghill.  I have an Alko (impact type) and got a few more years out of it by replacing the blades (I had resharpened the originals so many times that I couldn't believe how much wider a new set was!)  I compost all of my shreddings so it's important that the pieces are as small as possible which makes the crushing type less than ideal.  I'm not at all bothered about how much noise they make, only the size of the output shreddings.  There seem to be a few types out now which use both methods simultaneously but they are rather expensive so I too am interested in how these turbine types perform outside of "suppliers reviews".

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Me too. At 350 squid plus, they need to be GOOD!

I can actually get all the bits for the Screw blade type so I may just repair that one, or at least my mechanically minded neighbour has offered to do it and since he builds aeroplane engines I think he probably can do it. imageimageimage

I already have an impact type and it is useless for the amount and type of material this size of garden produces.

What do other people do with 3 or 4 thousand Miscanthus x hybridus stems?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I compost everything I can fit in the 2 bins and then each Autumn I have to take about 20 sacks to re-cycling, which gets turned into compost by the Council. Would love a shredder, but no room for more compost binsimage

The Miscanthus stems will not compost. There are some at the bottom of one of the piles which are the same as they were when I put them down 5 years ago.

All shreddings are used in the garden. We only send things which will not compost or shred to the Council tip. Things like Rose prunings and persistent rooted stuff.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I find the flowering stems of grasses shred well but some of the leaves are tough and wind round the innards of the shredder and jam things up. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Same problem with tough grasses here nut.  A real "bind" in more than one sense!image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.