London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
4 messages
22/01/2014 at 19:11

Thinking of buying cables to make a propagator but wondering how cheap are they to run?  I have lots of seed to start and my greenhouse only goes up around April/May.   Using windowsills works for a short time. 

22/01/2014 at 19:22

Hi David, they are rated in Watts so you can compare to light bulbs.  The most common cable is rated at 12.5W per metre so, for example, a 6m length would use 75W.

If your electricity costs (say) 10p per kWh, a 6m cable would cost 0.75p per hour, so 18p per day.

26/01/2014 at 10:09

Hope to renew my soil warming cable and thermostat in a home made bench top propagation case measuring 8'x2'. Can anyone offer advice on which brand to look for based on their past experience and findings both for durability and temperature accuracy etc. Any advice most welcome and thanks in advance for any replies.

26/01/2014 at 13:08

Hi Brumbull, that's exactly the type of cable I already bought, ready for my heated bench.  I have a different thermostat (from something else) but the one you show is also what I'd recommend for anyone starting from scratch.

Old timer2, I'd also recommend the Parasene cable.  Information from the company recommends that a 6m long cable is ideal for a 4'x2' box, so your 8'x2' would need twice that, so a 12m cable should be perfect.  They are on Amazon for £23 + £3 delivery which is very good value.

email image
4 messages