Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Hi, 

To aid with a design project,

I am wanting to find out information on how gardeners space their seeds, the following details would be beneficial;

- What do you use to aid spacing your seeds? (product) -(homemade or purchased?)

- What difficulties you experience in doing this process?

- What types of seeds you like to plant?

- How do you know how much space the seeds need? (Research or own knowledge?)

Any images would be greatly appreciated! uploading photos grants us permission to use them in our research.

Thank you.

Kitty 2

It's not really that complicated that it needs a specially designed tool.

I use my fingers for sprinkling tiny seeds, a pencil to poke holes for big ones, and my eyes to gauge the distance. I grow allsorts of different stuff.

Fancy shop bought seed distributors rank highly on the list of most useless toot bought by gardeners on the forum 

Hold your palm up in front of your face.

Fold it slightly.

See that line across the middle? That is the seed sowing line.

Add seed, position and shake or tap hand lightly to distribute.

Same hand can also hold a beer when you have finished!

Singing Gardener

I do use a yardstick (or should that be a metrestick?) sometimes for peas and beans.

Someone gave me a seed-sowing ruler (a 30cm ruler with holes in it) but I only use it for measuring and not for seed sowing.

Advertisement

Obelixx

I sow both ornamental plants and veggies and this year I'll be trying some new shrubs and trees.

All my seed sowing is done in modules to reduce root disturbance so are sown individually or in teeny pinches of seed picked up with my finger tips except sweet peas and beans which get sown individually in toilet roll tubes.   Geoff Hamilton advocated the dampened end of a matchstick for picking up very fine seeds or the handy method described by Buttercup.   Works for me.   No gizmos.   

They may then be potted on into small pots or, for veggies, planted out in a bed using my trusty trowl to measure distances.  One length for most between plants and rows - just wide enough to get the hoe in - or 2 lengths for some brassicas.   Onion sets are planted a trowel blade apart and squashes get 3 or 4 trowel lengths depending on whether I'm growing them up frames or along the ground.

I did try a measuring board but it was a faff. 

Mike Allen

Seeds are 'Sown' not planted with the exception of potatos.  Much come from experience gained over time.  Fine seed and many veg seed are sprinkled and the resulting plants thinned out later.  With flower seed that is fine.  This is often mixed with sand and thinly sown.