London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
3 messages
30/01/2013 at 12:33

These days I get very little time to spend nurturing my plants. I used to have a really beautiful garden on my terrace but maintaining it has become a hassle now! So then I heard about this gardening technique called "Square Food Gardening" that provides "a new way to garden with lesser space and less time". I was wondering if I could use this in my verandah! This article explains gives a detailed explaination on what I can grow on square foot gardens for all seasons. And they've got pretty helpful vdeos to show you how you can do it step by step! So that helps solve my first problem!

Have you guys ever tried this technique? Also, which plant would you suggest i try (as a beginner). Should me low maintenance but attractive/useful at the same time!!

30/01/2013 at 12:52

The idea is that you grow small groups of veggies in small squares and on a rotational basis.  Depending on the size of the mature plant you can get more, or fewer, per square foot.   It doesn't seem at all low maintenance to me as you have to keep up with constant weeding and top dressing with compost to maintain maximum growth and soil fertility.  

It might work as a low maintenance herb garden as, if it's sheltered in winter and well drained for the woody Meditarranean herbs, they'd stay in place for years.  Of course things like parsley and basil and chives will need more moisture so aren't that compatible. 

30/01/2013 at 15:59

From what I understand about this kind of system; (the bed system in Dr. D.G. Hessayon's book) which I practise in an amateur sort of way, you plant closer than usual, and get less yield per plant, but more yield per sq. foot. The closeness of the veg means less weeds! I suppose that Jimmy holl is referring to flowerbeds, if that is so, he could follow the example of an old Dutch boyfriend of mine who just grew a wonderful variety of slow growing small conifers and always won the prize for best garden in his area.

email image
3 messages