Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Staking standard fuchsias and the like

ive not done a great job of staking my standard fuchsia given it's got a lean and I've just spotted I've damaged some bark.   a search online suggests a single stake but talking to Artjak the other day and she suggested crossing stakes (actually for another plant).    Cant seem to find any pictures of this or advice articles.  Can someone direct me? How do you stake your standards?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've not grown a standard fuchsia for years, but I used to use a sturdy 'extra thick' single  bamboo cane (tomato cane size) - using garden raffia in a figure eight to tie the plant to the cane, but I'd tie all the way up about every six to eight inches to keep it straight.

I'd start off with the tall cane and the cutting together, rather than change a smaller cane for a bigger one - that way you avoid damaging the roots when replacing the cane with a bigger one. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• It's a mature plant.  I had to stake myself as it came in one of those plastic pots with staking mesh attached- had to destroy mesh to pot on.  So I've had to risk the roots.  Will be having a go at cuttings though so will do as you say.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I see.  It is harder to get the 'trunk' close to the cane that way image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.