London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
5 messages
04/07/2012 at 14:02

I've just had some seeds delivered in one of those very small sealed plastic bags. Is it ok to leave them there or should I transfer them to a paper bag?   

04/07/2012 at 14:37

I had some earlier in the year from Premier Seeds just sowed what I wanted and resealed it-that was 6 months ago and just had a look- the seeds are still loose -nothing has rotted-so I would leave them in the plastic bags

04/07/2012 at 14:55

I've only recently started to seed sow and I always wondered whether I should leave them in the plastic bags, I always thought they should be in paper bags. Thanks for that, I will leave them where they are

04/07/2012 at 15:44

i was told seeds are best stored cold and dry.

i keep mine in a plastic box with some of those little desiccant packets that come in packages with electrical  goods, cameras etc in the bottom of the fridge

04/07/2012 at 21:48

B & Q were selling off a seed box(about 6"x5"x4") recently for about £3, so I snapped it up. Although it didn't have any dividers it serves it's purpose & again, I keep mine in the garage fridge.

If I haven't got brown paper bags, I've used the prepaid envelopes companies send me with correspondence. Haven't had any problems with seed sowing as a result.

email image
5 messages