London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
9 messages
28/06/2012 at 23:20

This wet weather is a nightmare it just seems to be trying to catch up with grass cutting and lawn edging. I hate strimmers for edging I end up on my hands and knees using my old kitchen scissors which takes ages but at least I'm not clearing up grass out of my border

28/06/2012 at 23:32

You probably won't believe this but my hubs invented a strimmer in the early '60s, long before the strimmer was officially invented.  Briefly, he used an electric motor, a handle and some wire.  Everything worked fine and he strimmed the lawn edges but was frustrated that he couldn't find a wire which would last more than a few minutes.  He didn't take it further and of course, as they say, the rest is history.

29/06/2012 at 08:56

If only dragons den was about then, but maybe this is his chance to improve on the design.. Even today Ive never had a strimmer to last they are the bain of my life. I wish I could afford a petrol one.

29/06/2012 at 09:38

A strimmer that collects grass is a good idea. A combination of a strimmer, with a garden vacuum might be feasible.

I suppose you could simply follow up your strimming with a garden vacuum. I don't know how effective garden vacuums are at collecting grass.

It's always a lot easier to cut grass, and to collect it, if the grass is dry, and this has been a problem recently.

29/06/2012 at 12:29

Radio Times have a novel gardening product on offer, advertised in this week's issue. It's called a Garden Groom.

It's a hedge trimmer, which uses a circular rotating blade, like a rotary mower, and which sucks the clippings into a combined collection bag. There's also an alternative collection method, using a long collection tube, which pipes the cuttings into a separate large bag.

This is the Radio Times' offer:
http://www.mysmartbuy.com/p-730-Garden-Groom-Pro-Electric-Hedge-Trimmer.html

There's a video on that page, showing the pipe and large bag in use.

This appears to be the same product, at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Groom-Pro-Electric-Hedgetrimmer/dp/B001QSXW2S/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2

This particular product doesn't seem to be intended for heavy duty use, so I'll stick with my conventional hedge-cutter. But it's still an interesting product.

29/06/2012 at 12:38

so agree with weejenny, strimmers seem to last an incredicbly short time - and we don't have a particularly large area to strim, just around edges and pots.  Such a pity Robot's hubs wasn't able to continue with his ideas, may have worked better than the current ones that's for sure. 

19/05/2014 at 12:06

Totally agree that someone needs to invent a strimmer that can suck up the cuttings as it cuts. Strimming my lawn edges is a 2-man job with one of us holding up boards so the strimmings don't all end up in my gravel - crazy!

19/05/2014 at 13:31

Im guessing the issue would be once its picked up x amount of cuttings it becomes to heavy to handle as a strimmer..

19/05/2014 at 13:32

All those power tools that need to be carried are too heavy for me before they pick anything up

email image
9 messages