Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

weejenny

This wet weather is a nightmare it just seems to be trying to catch up with grass cutting and lawn edging. I hate strimmers for edging I end up on my hands and knees using my old kitchen scissors which takes ages but at least I'm not clearing up grass out of my border

Robot

You probably won't believe this but my hubs invented a strimmer in the early '60s, long before the strimmer was officially invented.  Briefly, he used an electric motor, a handle and some wire.  Everything worked fine and he strimmed the lawn edges but was frustrated that he couldn't find a wire which would last more than a few minutes.  He didn't take it further and of course, as they say, the rest is history.

weejenny

If only dragons den was about then, but maybe this is his chance to improve on the design.. Even today Ive never had a strimmer to last they are the bain of my life. I wish I could afford a petrol one.

Gary Hobson

A strimmer that collects grass is a good idea. A combination of a strimmer, with a garden vacuum might be feasible.

I suppose you could simply follow up your strimming with a garden vacuum. I don't know how effective garden vacuums are at collecting grass.

It's always a lot easier to cut grass, and to collect it, if the grass is dry, and this has been a problem recently.

Gary Hobson

Radio Times have a novel gardening product on offer, advertised in this week's issue. It's called a Garden Groom.

It's a hedge trimmer, which uses a circular rotating blade, like a rotary mower, and which sucks the clippings into a combined collection bag. There's also an alternative collection method, using a long collection tube, which pipes the cuttings into a separate large bag.

This is the Radio Times' offer:
http://www.mysmartbuy.com/p-730-Garden-Groom-Pro-Electric-Hedge-Trimmer.html

There's a video on that page, showing the pipe and large bag in use.

This appears to be the same product, at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Groom-Pro-Electric-Hedgetrimmer/dp/B001QSXW2S/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2

This particular product doesn't seem to be intended for heavy duty use, so I'll stick with my conventional hedge-cutter. But it's still an interesting product.

Advertisement

Bookertoo

so agree with weejenny, strimmers seem to last an incredicbly short time - and we don't have a particularly large area to strim, just around edges and pots.  Such a pity Robot's hubs wasn't able to continue with his ideas, may have worked better than the current ones that's for sure. 

Totally agree that someone needs to invent a strimmer that can suck up the cuttings as it cuts. Strimming my lawn edges is a 2-man job with one of us holding up boards so the strimmings don't all end up in my gravel - crazy!

ighten

Im guessing the issue would be once its picked up x amount of cuttings it becomes to heavy to handle as a strimmer..

nutcutlet

All those power tools that need to be carried are too heavy for me before they pick anything up