London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
5 messages
14/07/2012 at 10:44

Having taken advice from the forum on climbers for my new pergola, I have a trachelospermum jasminoides and an evergreen clematis and now need to ask for help on what best to use and how to attach supports to the pergola uprights - 4" square timber; bearing in mind that my DIY skills are minimal/non existent!!  

Thank you.

14/07/2012 at 14:14

Pinkpeony, it is as simple as buying some eye screws at the Garden Centre and screwing then into the upright. You can then tie the plants in with twine also from the GC.
If there is no drill available get a nail and start a hole by hammering the nail into the wood, just enough to start the screw. then screw in the eye screw by putting the screw driver, rod, knitting needle ( a big one) through the eye and screw slowly into the wood. You could of course just use twine wrapped round the upright.
People use a mesh wrapped round the upright and wired together then tie into that, it all depends on how you wish it to look before the plant covers whatever you put on the post.

Frank.

14/07/2012 at 16:17

Thanks Palaisglide for your reply and clear instructions.  Eye screws and twine (or wire?) seem to be the answer - less obvious I feel, than mesh or twine wrapped around the posts, until the plants establish themselves.  I have a drill and basic toolkit so a quick trip to the garden centre for the eyescrews and  I can test my skills!! 

Thanks again.

14/07/2012 at 18:28

Probably not wire as it tends to cut into the plant, and does not allow any movement in the wind.  A soft jute type twine, twisted around itself a couple of times after the eye, making a kind of little stem - not sure how clear that is,  from the eye, then gently around the stem leaving room for flexing and growth.  For larger tougher plants that need tying in, the wire that is covered with a quite thick layer of foamy rubber is good, it use that for my big fig tree that I am training along a wall and fence.  You just twist the ends around itself and it holds very well - but too bulky for your decorative things in the pergola.

19/07/2012 at 08:51

Thank you both!   Didn't need the drill, used a nail and the screwdriver through the eye of the screw.  Now looking for jobs to use up the remaining eye screws - shall have to buy more climbers!!

email image
5 messages