London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
4 messages
23/02/2013 at 16:16

My roses have now been radically pruned after collapsing last yearin the high winds. They need staking / supporting and I am determined to sort thisout this year - very disappointed to have to prune them back so hard. Which supports do I use? The roses are less than a foot tall now but will grow again to over five feet tall. Do I use individual stakes with tree type ties in three places on the stems, or hoop style supports so that the roses lean on them - and what height hoops would I need if I choose hoops? Thank you for any advice that you can give.

23/02/2013 at 16:29

I have an iceberg that has twice toppled over in high winds-got some stakes and tree tries-been like that for a few years

But unusual for a hybrid tea-however would not use hoops-get a strong stake in place now so the foliage hides it -just too look pleasing-and a strong set of ties.

23/02/2013 at 17:12

A couple of mine blew down last year. I got some lower than usual canes and put them in a semi circle around them and then just wrapped garden twine around. as the plant grew the canes and twine could not be seen The bamboo does have to be thicker and pushed into the ground quite a long way

23/02/2013 at 18:28

Thank you both so much for your replies.I thinkI will get a metal stake and put three tree ties around the stem as it grows back.I will get a stake that comes up to 5 feet.  It will bea bit shorter because I will pushh it into the ground quite a way. I have tried bamboo canes in the past but they were just pulled up as the roses grew. Thank you both again.

email image
4 messages