Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Temporary pathways

Now that the chickens have comprehensively trashed the garden, I am making plans to redesign it. I have an idea where I want paths and would like to lay something down which could be moved around while I decide the best layout. It needs to be able to curve round - or at least make angles that could become curves when a permanent path is laid - and not be too expensive!

Do any of you clever folk have suggestions for me?

Thanks

Flo

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Flo-do you mean to mark out the pathway?-if so use a hosepipe

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

You can mark out prospective pathways with hosepipes, as Geoff says, or with dry sand poured from a bottle as you walk.  You can then use them for a trial period and view them from all angles including upstairs windows before committing yourself.

If you want something more permanent initially you will have to bite the bullet and buy paving slabs or cirlces or stones of some sort and position them as you wish then set them permanently in concrete when you're happy you've got it right.  I can't see that a loose path made from stone cippings or chipped bark will be compatible with hens as they will constantly rearrange the material.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Thanks G & O for your suggestions. I did want something more permanent initially but am not of a mind to lug paving slabs about. Perhaps I can find some old unused hose and peg it down here and there as Mr Bear, dogs and chickens will have no idea that it's not there for kicking around.

• ZenZinniaZenZinnia Posts: 7

You could try getting hold of a load of old carpet tiles.  I have a pile of them i use for covering weeds and also for use as temporary paths.  They don't seem to deteriorate very fast and are still going after about 8 years of use. 

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

What a great idea, ZenZinnia. I will put a request on Freecycle at once!

Thank you.