Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Thought on push mowers?

Hi all, whats your thoughts on push mowers? Any out there that could possibly rival a powered mower? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Any 55 and overs who haven't yet filled out my questionnaire, would love it if you could, I need another 15 responses pass on if you are able to. Link below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1llqU6HaqFeuMveCuMRbcdPbeR_4PjHC3jgw88VQOP1I/viewform?usp=send_form

Thanks everyone!

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Amy the only push mower  that's better than mine is the one somebody else is pushing, No wot a mean. image

• Push mowers are a great exercise. I'd say it depends on how big the lawn is. If I'd use one on the size of lawns I have now, I probably wouldn't be able to move for a week after each cut. But I'm planning to only have lawn paths eventually for which a push mower will be ideal. 

• Push mowers were great when there was someone in the village who knew how to keep the blades razor sharp - but that generation has gone and there's no one about to do it any more - not even the travelling Romany family who used to visit our village right up until the mid 1980s, selling handmade lace and sharpening shears, knives, scythes, mowers, scissors etc.

If a push mower isn't kept razor sharp it is very tiring to use.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    Many years ago I had one. It got pushed into a skip and replaced with a flymo image
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

why would you use a push mower any more than one would take carpets out and beat them, or wash the dishes and ignore the dishwasher?

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I had one years ago, very small lawn then though, but just thinking about it and I can hear that lovely noise it made.

My daughter has a new one now, she loves it and her 11 year old is happy to cut the grass for her.

I thjnk they are ideal for a small lawn, I wonder if the farm shops would sharpen the blades?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1 wrote (see)

why would you use a push mower any more than one would take carpets out and beat them, or wash the dishes and ignore the dishwasher?

I don't have a dishwasher - OH does the dishes except on Saturdays when I do them.  I do take rugs outside and give them a good beating in the sunshine - it dislodges 'ground in' dust/grit, freshens them up without scattering chemical smelling powder on them and lets me get rid of my frustrations at the same time as toning up my muscles image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I stand corrected. image

Devon.
  • LOL

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Too much to do in a garden to avoid any timesaving devices. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands