London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
13 messages
19/06/2014 at 01:12

I've give in! I'm lifting my lawn atm as its a right state, there is more weeds, clover, thatch, moss and nettles than what there is on the wild field out the back of me.

So I've give in I'm going to lay a new lawn. I'm having some top soil delivered to raise the lawn a bit but is there anything I should put on it before I put the grass seed down?
Is there anything I can do to stop weeds growing while the seed is rooting?

Any hits, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Jen

19/06/2014 at 05:50

I am no expert but you could kill the existing lawn and weeds before lifting it.

19/06/2014 at 19:27

Are you cutting the old lawn off, machines can be hired to take off the top layer which can be stacked upside down in a corner and will turn into lovely loam in a year.

The top soil you are getting should be put through a riddle to remove any weed or stones in it. The old lawn once the grass is removed should be dug over and if needed some drainage mixed in. ( for a top class lawn the soil should be dug out, drainage put in then the soil returned) time and money allowing. If not mix some washed sand in the top soil you bought and spread it evenly, rake it level using a plank on edge to make sure there are no dips or humps. The important bit is the gardeners shuffle as you work your way up and down pressing the soil firm then another gentle rake.

Now is it seed of which there are many kinds depending on what kind of lawn you want, or rolls which come in varying qualities, the best money allows.

Seed will show quite quickly and let it grow on before trying to cut it treating any bare patches with more seed raked in. If rolls then make sure all the edges are tight, trim of the spare and then water on a daily basis for at least two weeks.

It is hard work, no easy way and not a quick fix, money is often the deciding factor seed being cheaper than good rolls, that is up to you.

This is a very brief summary of the work ahead, then we are gardeners and know nothing comes easy we have to work at it.

Frank.

19/06/2014 at 22:36
19/06/2014 at 22:38
is it best to get seed with or without rye and why. thanks for the help you guys
19/06/2014 at 22:58

Again this depends on the usage, children and animals you need a tough lawn, a Bowling green is a totally different matter, I used to help maintain one of those and it was hard work.

The lawn seed will be marked as general purpose tough or soft and the people selling it will be happy to explain, you will know the use it will get so be careful in your choice.

Once it is ready and seeded come back as the first few months of a new lawn needs some special treatment.

Frank.

20/06/2014 at 07:07

The rye grass will help where there's higher usage - it's tough stuff. Fescues are fine, for that soft lawn to walk on in bare feet!  Your supplier should be able to advise, as Frank's said.  Preparation is the key.  It makes the world of difference to the finished product.  HC

20/06/2014 at 07:28

If you have a field backing onto your garden, be prepared to keep on top of weeding and feeding if you want a nice lawn - you'll always get lots of stuff coming in. It goes with the territory I'm afraid. A good routine in spring and autumn will be necessary to keep it looking good and it's worth doing it if you're going to the trouble of preparing a new one. 

20/06/2014 at 11:08
Agree with Fairy, don't want to be a pessimist but if you back onto a wild field it will be difficult to maintains weed free lawn.

Summer isn't really the time to be creating a new lawn by seed. All the weeds will be at their most prolific setting seed at this time of year as well. Late summer to autumn or early spring are the best times.

If you do go ahead now then I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent weed seeds also setting. You will also need to ensure that its watered if we continue it have dry weather.
20/06/2014 at 21:34

I've managed to get all the old turf off now its bare I'm bringing up soil from the bottom of the garden just to fill out gaps and holes. I'm going to have to raise the sides and put some planks along it as one side has more or less merged with my border. 

The rest of my garden is mostly weed free as I have a lot of veg in my borders with the flowers etc but I know Im going to get the odd few. I think I might just top it up with the soil and leave it so rest and go about pulling weeds till the end of summer then put the seed down.

Thanks guys

10/07/2014 at 18:32

Hi 4390evans. My business is garden maintenance, don't worry I'm not going to sell to you, but i have some advice.

First make sure you buy your new turf direct from the grower and not a diy store. You will get a better price and a much better quality turf. They will also be able to advise you on the best make up of the turf. So if your garden is shady then they will be able to provide you with turf that is better suited to this.

Never lay the new turf over old grass. make sure the site is prepared before ordering and then once the turf turns up make sure you are ready to lay it that day. Th refresher  the turf the better the end result will be.

Make sure the soil is not compacted and apply a pre turfing fertiliser, this will help the turf root. give the area to be turfed a good water before you start.

lay the turf as soon as possible and think about the shape of your new lawn. Tight corners make it hard for you to be able to get the lawn mower round.

once the lawn is down check that it is well rooted before you start to mow it, and a good lawn care programme is important so you don't end up with what you had before. Check my website/blogs for advice on lawn mowing and lawn care @ www.sowyourseed.co.uk

enjoy the new garden

18/07/2014 at 17:14
When you have prepared the site, dug it over, you could let the site fallow for a few weeks to allow any weed seeds to germinate and then hoe them off before you lay the new turf.
02/08/2014 at 10:19

Use lawn weed killer called verdone once a month couple of months then twice year there after real good

email image
13 messages