London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
12/04/2014 at 17:02

Forgetting frost which of these require fleece at the initial stage of growing to protect from pigeons etc

Carrots

Parsnips

Peas

Spring Onions

Runner Beans

Thanks friends

12/04/2014 at 19:28

I don't use fleece on any of those to stop pigeons.

It won't stop mice eating the peas.

It should stop carrot fly from infesting your carrots.

The main problem I have with wood pigeons is with brassicas. I use  Nets and dangling CD,s.

12/04/2014 at 22:24

Hiya newboy

Fleece carrots for fly and for initial protection until germination....used this today

Fleece for peas for pea moth at flowering time

Fleece for spring onions when sown until germination

Fleece for runner bean plants when cold

13/04/2014 at 16:45

Thanks Verdun

Sometime ago you gave me advice on sowing carots and parsnips in a conical hole produced by using a ametal pipe which I am about to implement

? Does the sieved soil remain loose or does it become compacted

? Could I use compost and FBB in the holes

13/04/2014 at 17:10

Newboy,,they really were fantastic carrots.  Large and sweet.

No, soil does not compacted

Yes compost and FBB in the hole. 

16/04/2014 at 10:11

Sowed as suggested in separate holes and my neighbour has given me some of his saved seeds from last year to sow normally so we can compare results

16/04/2014 at 13:12

Verdun...you say

Fleece for peas for pea moth at flowering time

Pardon my ignorance but does that mean I chuck fleece over the peas when they begin flowering please

Thank you

16/04/2014 at 13:24

Hiya newboy

I just drape fleece lightly over peas .....pegging down corners tostoop blowing away. I only grow early peas.  Covering them in early May for 3 or 4 weeks prevents 

Pea moth spoiling my peas.  As I understand it, the pea moth will lay eggs on leaves and flowers in late spring.  After that fleece can be removed.

16/04/2014 at 14:22

For carrots and parsnips I find enviromesh better than fleece as it allows in more light but keeps out carrot fly.They arent cold sensitive so dont need fleece as protection.

email image
9 messages