Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tool Storage Solution

Hello all,

I have been working on an A2 product design project which involves creating an innovative garden tool storage facility. I decided to join the Gardeners' World forum to show you my ideas in the hope that you would be kind enough to give me some feedback and possible suggestions for improvements.

The above image is a concept image of the product created using Google Sketchup and Adobe Photoshop.

Let me know what you think, any feedback will be much appreciated!
Tom.

• Hello Tom,

This looks very interesting, thanks for posting it. It might be worth making a similar version for smaller items - like trowels or hand forks. Is this for a college assignment?

Good luck with your plans,

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team

• I am current;y about 75% through the manufacturing process

I'll be able to post some more pictures soon of the final product, then hopefully you might bale able to give me some feedback which might makes its way into the analysis section of my coursework.

Keep posted for the final product,
    Tom. 

• Looks usable Tom, I used to have a similar item some years ago, for holding brushes and mops in the kitchen cupboard.   The only problem I had with it was getting the clamps holding the handle in place to release without practically tugging the fitting off the wall.   Yours looks better than my array of nails and hooks on the garage wall!

Best of luck.

• The manufacturing of my product is complete, below are 3 images of the final product in its intended location:

Any feedback would be highly appreciated, alternatively if anybody has any questions about the design concept and its manufacture, do not hesitate to ask.
  • its a great idea and looks well, how is it attached to the wall???it certainly beats my method of a bit of wood nailed to the wall..with some screws to hook or balance the tools on...looks like it could be a winner if you approached garden centres to get them to try stock it, best of luck with your course and this great project!!

• I too wondered how if fixes to the wall and/or a garden fence?

• Hi Tom

As a designer yourself I wonder if you might be interested in joining me with my design.

I have created a design for a piece of garden equipment and applied for a patent.  A idea within this field won the support of the Dragons a few years back, but it was bulky and very expensive so did not succeed.  My design has more functions, is smaller, compact and will be affordable, but I need to find someone to help me to get it to market.  Local garden centres have shown interest but will only deal with large companies who can guarantee a chain of supply, but they will only deal with a supplier with a track record, so the circle is complete.

If you have any ideas and would like to join me it could be mutually beneficial.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I use these...

I got mine from Homebase. You can get similar ones from Amazon. I don't know if they are exactly the same. Price around £1.75. The rack being suggested on this thread does hold 3 tools. So the question would be - does it retail for less than £5.25.

I'm all for innovation and enterprise. But to succeed, an idea needs to be good. This tool rack is a simple idea over-engineeered.

There's another current thread about the Bosch AVR 1100 verticutter. Someone has posted a comment there describing Bosch products as Vorsprung durch Technik. Bosch products are exactly that.

But this tool rack is not Vorsprung durch Technik. Sorry.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I have an even cheaper version-wood to wall -nails hammered into wood at required space tools hang from one or two nails

Don't think I will go on Dragon's Den with this one or ask for someone to join me in an enterprise-if an idea is that good why would you share?

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    sotongeoff wrote (see)

I have an even cheaper version...

Cost is an important factor. But it isn't everything.

Old nails are not as smart as my precision-engineered Ferrari-red screw-in tool hook. And I don't think the 3-in-one rack is particularly smart or funky. And I'm sure it will be a lot more expensive than nails or red hooks.