London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
2 messages
26/05/2013 at 10:55

Hi everyone,

I'm in the garden at home and I was looking at my gardening tools/equipment when i wondered how much I had spent as these things are expensive now a days. So I was wondering what tools people think are expensive and that they wish were cheaper whether you own it or not.

28/05/2013 at 09:06

I guess your perception is that if you only use each tool for a small number of hours in any year, you may not be getting your money's worth. As I do a number of gardens, some quite large, and some of the work is quite intensive, perhaps I get a clearer view of the value of tools in terms of how much work I get out of them.

I'm convinced that generally you get what you pay for. For instance, I tried to make do with a petrol strimmer that was always on the edge of being inadequate. For another £150 I've got a machine that will easily do everything I want.

It's the same, with reservations, with hand tools. You can buy a spade for a few pounds in Homebase, but it won't be the same as a well-made stainless steel spade costing £30, which will make your work so much easier. The reservation is that some hand tools are made to be pretty or trendy, and can cost far more than they're worth.

email image
2 messages