London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
3 messages
08/04/2014 at 18:10

For those in a rush -

If I top dress the lawn how/can I avoid splattering soil everywhere when I mow it?

Bit more info -

Decided to make some kind of effort with the front garden.  Just a "lawn" + flower bed with a tree in it.  The lawn has a good smattering of weeds in it (mainly dandylions, some moss, a bit of weird big grass, and some tendril-y thing).  It's had it's first cut of the year over the weekend and I plan on putting weed+feed on it this week, weather permitting, raking the dead stuff out and putting some new seed on it.

I've read that now is a good time to top dress the grass.  I hadn't heard of it before, seems to involve forking the grass over, then spreading a mix of sand/compost on it.  Just a bit worried about mowing it afterwards (especially with the reseeding).  How long do you leave it before mowing?  I don't want to launch garden everywhere, but I don't fancy leaving it to grow knee deep either!

Any advice gratefully received!

08/04/2014 at 20:09

Make sure you rake/brush the top soil evenly across the lawn. I would then leave it for a few days to a week before mowing. If it doesn't rain after top dressing the lawn, lightly water the grass to wash the sand mix off the grass leaves so that the blade on your mower doesn't go blunt. 

08/04/2014 at 21:10

No offence intended but.  If after aerating the lawn, you then upon mowing it, share it all with your neighbours,  Then I wouls say that either you applied far too much top-dressing, and or.  Your mower is set far too low. OR both.  I believe that I posted a reply to another member a week or so ago, relating to top-dressing etc.

Particularly at this time of the year.  Grass, remember your lawn is made up of thousands of tiny plants.  Due in part to the soil condition following winter.  The soil has clogged.  To open it up, spiking  assists this.  Then using sharp sand, brushed in, the sand penetrates into the soil, assiting in surface drainage.  The grass, now that it has started to grow again, plus the soil condition.  The tiny grass plants begin to force themselves up and out of the soil.  Top-dressing allows for a layer of soil to fill in and around the nodes of the plant.  These nodes should always be just below the surface.  In the event that the nodes do grow forth.  Then sad to say.  Along comes your mower and not only cuts the grass, but also severs the plant from the roots.  I hope this helps.

email image
3 messages