London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
11 messages
29/01/2014 at 10:08

Hi folks,

I have a very mature Laurel hedge and 2 sections of privet hedge. We are planning major building works and these hedges sadly need to go. I really want to move them to another position on the boundary.

So I was wondering if I can get the groundworks guys to do this with their digger? ie dig a long trench in the desired position, then just dig up the hedges and plonk them in?? Sounds easy, but I'm sure it's not so simple, and I'm not sure how deep we would need to dig. 

29/01/2014 at 14:01

I'd take cuttings now coopers. The weather is still quite mild, both laurel and privet will root from hard wood cuttings.

Keep them frost free if you can, a sheltered corner is fine. They will root by mid spring, then you could replant them.

Digging anything up mechanically will do untold damage to the roots and is unlikely to work.

29/01/2014 at 16:08

Thanks Dave,

Oh that's a shame, as I need the height of the hedge elsewhere. Having said that, I've pulled up some privet growing in my friend's woodland and it transplanted really well, but they are small plants/saplings. Still, they are quicker than cuttings I guess, if I just get some more of those.

Do you think it might be worth the risk of trying the digger route, if the groundworkers will be digging it up any way?

29/01/2014 at 16:47

I don't know about Laurel, but Privet is pretty forgiving, it may be worth trying.

29/01/2014 at 16:52

I think it would be a waste of time. You'd have to cut them right back because the remaining damaged roots wouldn't be enough to sustain the tops or prevent rocking in the wind, so you'd lose the height anyway. 

With the amount of root damage from mechanical excavation, almost guaranteed to chop through loads of roots, they'd probably die anyway.

and then you'd be a year behind with a new hedge. If you look around the garden you may find some young ones to transplant.

29/01/2014 at 17:51

Thanks guys. I forgot to say that anything young, or with new shoots, gets eaten by rabbits. I can't rabbit -proof the garden until the building work is done. 

I suppose the alternative is to dig up manually..... groan...

29/01/2014 at 18:39

good for the waistline Coopers and much better for the plants

30/01/2014 at 00:46

Well the Highways Agency did just that all through Pembrokeshire when they put the gas pipeline through.  Dig and plonk.  As good a method as any.  The plants will barely know they've been out of the ground!

30/01/2014 at 08:06

sounds encouraging, Welshie

03/02/2014 at 10:46

I suppose the same problem applies to transplanting established evergreen shrubs?

Specifically a Pittosporum and Red Robin

04/02/2014 at 17:46

Just take as big a rootball as you can. 

email image
11 messages