Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tying In

Just wondering who uses what on here for tying in or training climbers, i have a fair few Clematis and honeysuckle in the garden and it's a job i found more of a chore than a pleasure, i have used twine, tried that plastic coated twisting wire or an old pair of shredded nylons (washed) all of them have there uses but i still found it a chore, then the OH came back one day with these little clips she bought in a pound store, i think they are great saves me a lot of time and hassle, have even used the bigger ones to stake my tree lilly's i find them great for training new shoots till the plant gets established and self twines then just take them off, just wanted to know what other folks use and the pro's n cons of the various tying in methods and products...

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..just use green string mostly...I quite enjoy this sort of work...

...I should add, that photo above looks rather comical I have to say..lol... best left to the imagination...

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 253

I'll hold my hands up didn't really see it till you pointed it out, oh tying in is so laborious and dull it's up there with weeding in my book...

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Hi, P-G & Salino: I must admit to a strong preference for soft twine; various gauges and colours for different plant subjects - those clips can be rather 'aggressive' on soft, tender shoots, especially tomatoes, climbing beans. I reserve the clips (two sizes available) for more robust, woodier growth. Wire rings also have their uses as they can be 'opened' to encompass quite large diameter canes. The flat green plastic-coated wire ties are virtually indestructible; some in my garden have survived for over 20 years (!) and even several 'cycles' through the compost bins too!!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I bought some of those too Percy, I have used them in the GhH on toms, courgettes and cucumbers.  I've still used string on my sunflowers and sweet peas, the clematis I just keep wrapping round the canes and it seems to know what to do image

Salino.......what books have you been reading....50 shades of gardening image

Ha OL 50 shades of gardening indeed..

What you say really makes sense DM2, thanks for sharing your experienced reasoning...

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

lol...that sounds like fun OL....better than the original...

David,....yes I also use that green plastic coated wire as an alternative... I always seem to have something to tie in and it comes in handy when the string runs out...   it can get very windy here in Fenland and if I don't tie back much of my garden would end up with the neighbours...lol

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Hi again, P-G & Salino: The art (or is it science?) of tying-in is an essential of life here in Wild Wet Windy West Wales!! Even though my mid-terrace plot is in the middle of town, we're so close to the Milford Haven Seaway/ shoreline (200 metres) that the wind finds its way wheresoe'er it will. As a good Cub/ Boy Scout, I was taught never to cut a cord or rope when nimble fingers were designed for fiddly untying - and those knotcraft skills gained a mere half-century ago do not go away; I just keep on practising and devising 'macrame'-solutions to my myriad tying problems.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I use string mainly - as David says, the  clippy things would be a bit severe on finer Clematis stems. The wire split circles are useful too, but I also buy plastic coated wire on reels and just cut pieces to suit. There's some green rubber/foam covered wire available now (quite thick) which I've not tried but it might look a bit ugly unless there's a good bit of foliage to cover it up. I like doing tying in.

Remember to tie  string firmly round the support first, then round the stem loosely to avoid chopping the stems in half image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

I guess it's just laziness from me, tying in is so time consuming, with these clips it's just a case of walking up and carefully clipping the stem to the cane or trellis, but i hear what you's are saying about delicate shoots and stems being damaged by these clips, maybe best used for more robust plants, i to have seen those rubber coated things Fairygirl, haven't even picked them up as i don't like the look of them..

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I normally use string or the plastic covered wire although I have to confess when I am too lazy to walk to the greenhouse to also using a crocosmia leaf or a day lily leaf!!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller