London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
11 messages
29/04/2012 at 16:48

Hi, I have cut down a large laurel and a after much deliberation a holly (I had some small plants which had seeded itself around the base so I transplanted them in another area). I am now left with 2 large stumps which I cant dig out. I've thought about hiring a stump grinder to level them to the ground as I want to put a potting shed there. Are they easy to use, or is it best to get somebody in to do the work. Thanks in advance

30/04/2012 at 18:55

im not sure that they can be hired?? i recently hired a large wood chipper and it came with a person to operate it i would suggest a proffesional if you are unsure about doing it yourself

30/04/2012 at 20:01

I agree. They are expensive and powerful - can't imagine you being able to hire one. 

30/04/2012 at 20:25
Thanks I thought it would be hard going, definitely going to get somebody in thanks again.
30/04/2012 at 21:28

it is possible to hire one,they are like a very large rotovator with a single spinning wheel/blade at the front you lower the blade on to the stump and the rest is history.

you will need to have good acces to the stump and it is rather hard work but they certainley do the job if you can share the hire with a neighbour it would make a lot more financial sense as they hire up here in yorkshire for £100.00 per day "buid your shed round the stump and make it in to a table lol good fun

30/04/2012 at 21:49

thanks will look into that I'm in yorkshire too, good idea on sharing, but i'm liking the table idea, be a great potting bench.

30/04/2012 at 22:13

The Laural will sprout from the stump, they are feisty creatures. I pruned the lower branches away to give mine more of a tree form but it does mean that I have to rub off the new shoots every spring/autumn, but I don't mind. I have one at 30ft tall and a self seeded baby that I clipped into a standard,at about three and a half foot tall so far. Obviously the parent plant grows much larger shoots than it's off spring.

30/04/2012 at 23:30
They are annoying I did cut it down to its base about 3 years ago it was very tall, then as you say it kept sprouting from the stump so I kept it relatively small, but it is just too much of a thug.
07/05/2012 at 08:19

Harder work but possible is a good strong axe and a mattock. Then work inwards splitting and cutting  as you go.

07/06/2012 at 12:49

pavery,

I would not suggest hiring a stump grinder unless you are really comfortable with other heavy-duty power tools like big chainsaws. There's nothing worse than learning how to use a dangerous and tiring tool on a one-off job. Hire someone to do it for you!

Joe

07/06/2012 at 14:40
Thanks after a lot of thought not going to do it myself can't be doing with the hassle.
email image
11 messages