7 messages
07/04/2013 at 08:32

I have been using a new multi fuel burner this winter and I'm wondering if I can put the ash from it onto the garden.  I burn both wood and brickettes.  I've been told that the ash from wood is good for the garden.  Is this true and does it equally apply to the ash from burning brickets.  What's the best way to use it?  Can anyone help with this?

07/04/2013 at 09:28
07/04/2013 at 09:51

I use the wood ash from my burner but am not sure about brickettes. I sprinkle around the fruit and am currently saving a bucket as I read it is  good to dig in a bucket in to a new herb bed which I hope to make this yera.

I have also put some around clematis and delphiniums, but that was recommended to do in November and Dember.

I am only just picking this up as well

07/04/2013 at 12:27

I burn incense sticks and use the ash from them for my Hibiscus. I used to plonk the sticks in the tub and noticed it seemed to be a lot more healthy and had bigger flowers.

So i carried on.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21100.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

07/04/2013 at 13:19

Brilliant tip Jean I will pass i on to someone who has one in apot - mind you she might dis approve

07/04/2013 at 13:32

Wood ash is good for use around the garden but avoid using it on any plants which prefer acid conditions as it is alkaline.  I would advise against using the briquette ash though as it may contain traces of heavy metals which are not good for plants or animals, including us.

Plants to avoid using the wood ash on include (but are not limited to): Acer, Azalea, Camelia, Heather, Rhododendron, Blueberry, Cranberry, Raspberry, Apple, Grape, Strawberry, Potato.  If you aren't sure about a particular plant, use google and search for the plant name and add "growing conditions" to see if it prefers acid soil (pH lower than 6.5) - if so, avoid using the wood ash on it.

07/04/2013 at 16:33

If you make your own briquettes from newspaper, than yep, that's ok.  Otherwise I'd check the packaging and see what they're made of, if it's a way of recycling paper, then again, yes, I'd use it.  I don't know if you can buy them still, but many years ago my sister bought my Grandparents a briquette press so he could make his own.  Lots of their friends saved their newspapers for them (in the days before recycling), they hardly ever had to buy coal.  You tear up the newspaper into strips, leave it to soak in a bucket of water for a couple of days, load it into the press, and it made a paper brick.  Grandad used to leave them in the covered entry between their kitchen and loo (that outdoor loo used to terrify me!), in about a week they'd dried out enough to use.  He used to try and make a good pile of them so he didn't have to do them through the winter, when the water either froze or the bricks wouldn't dry out, most years he'd made enough by November to keep going until March.

Might be worth looking on the internet to see if you can still buy them?  I'm all for saving money by recycling/reusing things.

email image
7 messages