London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
5 messages
21/04/2012 at 08:33

I have used builders netting on my allotment and have noticed that it is good at retaining heat in the soil. The weeds under the netting are more vigorous than else where.

This made me wonder about using it in the greenhouse to help retain heat in the cold months and to act as shading during the summer.

Would this work?

21/04/2012 at 10:42

Sorry if being a bit thick-but what exactly is builders netting?

21/04/2012 at 10:52

Builders use it on sites to protect pedestrians from debris. It is a fine mesh netting that comes in various colours - mostly green and blue.

21/04/2012 at 10:58

I am thinking of the orange plastic type that they put round holes to stop you falling in- not the same sort of stuff?

As regards using it for shading if it is the similar mesh as shop bought shading netting then yes.

As regard insulation then no-you are going to need something without holes like fleece or bubble-wrap- to go on the inside-I don't think netting will help at all

27/04/2012 at 12:14

Debris netting is brilliant for shading. but not alot of cop for keeping heat in as it would shade the inside too much when the light levels are low. I make cloches out of it to protect seedlings from frost and pests. I have an old scaffolding tower that I make a frame, to go over my brassica bed, which is good for keeping the old cabbage white off of. There isn't anything I can't find a use for it.

email image
5 messages