London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
12 messages
17/03/2013 at 16:47
17/03/2013 at 16:52

Not sure what you are asking Wendybut these work fine indoors-and in the greenhouse at the right time- the heat from the house is usually enough for most seeds.

Not everything needs heat to germinate in any case

17/03/2013 at 17:22

I use them, keeps a moist atmosphere til seeds germinate. I don't have to water. Mine are all over winter seeds that wanted chilling. Haven't sowed anything this 'spring' 

17/03/2013 at 17:30

Thankyou very much for your replies!!

I meant to post a proper question when I started the thread but you have answered it perfectly. Thankyou ! I have about 30 plastic propegators with flower seeds in them, sitting in our dining room, south facing infront of the patio doors. The last three years running I put the propegators directly into my three plastic walk in greenhouses and they germinated beautifully. I just decided to use indoors as it is so cold! will move them out when they start to sprout. thankyou again and sorry if this reply double posts. I can't see my reply to you both so posted twice xx

17/03/2013 at 17:46

hi wendy well this year i have sown all my seeds in one of those plastic three tier mini greenhouses put them outside on the patio and they are all doing well i kept it shut an d the condensation waters them. i took a chance and it seems to be working,will wait and see.

17/03/2013 at 17:48

Thankyou Chica, I am glad they are doing well for you! I think my kids would appreciate it if I moved all my trays outsie as I am taking up valuable playroom for some reason this year i have lost my nerve and opted for inside!  I have three of those walk in plastic greenhouses and I am really keen to get them filled up. they worked a treat the last few years!

17/03/2013 at 20:28

All that cold has to stop soon. I've got cabin fever.

18/03/2013 at 17:18

I agree it is so cold! I was grumpy on Saturday as my garden was damp and cold and I wished for sunny and warm.

18/03/2013 at 17:24

helloo x

18/03/2013 at 17:26

hello there marie!

18/03/2013 at 17:39

I think I'd be wary of moving them outside once they'd germinated, if they germinate outside it means it's warm enough, otherwise they wouldn't germinate!  Waiting until they're up and then putting them outside in the growhouse might be a bit harsh.  It just depends what the weather does.

I think if I were you, I'd move them outside ASAP, they will then germinate when it's warm enough, it might take longer, but I wouldn't risk losing everything later on if there's more snow on the way.  Waiting is difficult, it seems to have been winter a long time this year.

24/03/2013 at 15:05

thankyou mummy muddy paws(love the name )  

I am trying to add a photo link but it wont let me. lots of little green heads poking up through soil! all happy in new home outsider, had to move them in the end because of the kids. so pleased xx

email image
12 messages