London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
17 messages
30/08/2013 at 09:45

Any tips on how wide the wall should be for planting hedging plants. Any hedging plants best suited for this? 

30/08/2013 at 10:03

This is a very normal type of hedge/field boundary where I live.  Hawthorn, briar, blackthorn,elder, cotoneaster, are just some of the suitable plants. Plus the occasional tree, like rowan. In fact you can put almost anything on the top of a wall.

30/08/2013 at 10:27

Am not sure what you mean by "how wide the wall should be for planting hedging plants". Do you need a wall and a hedge next to each other??

30/08/2013 at 10:58

I will be building two stone walls - side by side and filling with soil...and planting hedge on top.....wondering how wide of a gap should I leave between both walls.....need a thick hedge for privacy.

30/08/2013 at 11:20

I'd say around two to three feet ideally Gwen but you could make it  less than that if there's plenty of depth - the hedge will fill out and grow wider to cover the edges of the walls anyway if you want it to. 

30/08/2013 at 13:00

Thanks for that 

30/08/2013 at 14:30

Ok, so it is a raised bed. 2-3 ft sounds fair. What type of hedge are you thinking of? Beech will do well in such a free draining soil in a raised bed and it keeps its brown leaves in winter - so good for screening.

30/08/2013 at 16:04

Three foot is way more than is normal for field boundaries.  If there is a good batter on the walls the base would be much more than 3 ft wide.

If I remember the roads agency had a frame which they filled with soil and then faced the banks with turf and planted on top.

Remember plants will grow and will be far cheaper than a high double stone wall.

May I suggest a little research on the internet.  Different counties have different traditional field boundaries and banks.

30/08/2013 at 16:35

I must be missing something - I just assumed it was for a garden not a field boundary! 

You could grow any type of hedge really - depends on what effect you want Gwen. The site, aspect, how exposed it is and whether you want evergreen/flowering or not. Seaside is a different problem because of the salt too. 

30/08/2013 at 17:52

I call it a field boundary because that indicates its shape and form.  I appreciate it will be situated in a garden!

02/09/2013 at 15:13

It is for a garden. The wall and hedge on top will be partitioning our home area v  work area (industrial unit) therefore need privacy and also need the wall to screen off vehicles parking on the "work side of wall". We have fair amount of strong winds coming up the valley..hedging has to be quite robust. We are around 10 miles from coast. Also, do I need to worry about various hedging plants root systems with them in the wall?

03/09/2013 at 17:40

No they will send their roots down through the walls and into the soil beneath.  It is a very usual rural arrangement.  I am presuming you will be trimming the hedge especially in the early years to get it to thicken up.

Honeysuckle is another good plant to put in the hedge, and hazel.

04/09/2013 at 07:56

From elsewhere I have discovered the plants should be placed at 5 to the metre in staggered rows.

04/09/2013 at 11:28

We were thinking of putting concrete foundations for the wall......hedging plants would still be OK? 

04/09/2013 at 11:46

So, you are,building concrete walls......not stone and soil.....either blocks or stones cemented together?

The walls should taper in slightly so 3' at the top means 3' 6" at the base.

How high will the wall be?

Escallonia or griselinia would cope admirably with the salt spray as well as coping well with regular pruning.

05/09/2013 at 11:39

Foundations of wall will be concrete, stones loosely cemented together....natural gaps within stones will be left....therefore in theory it will look like a dry stone wall but with a bit of cement fixing them in place. This wall sounds complicated but not really!  The wall will be approx 3.5 feet high. 

26/05/2014 at 17:34

I've been considering building a low double wall around a new patio with herbs growing in the gap between, using old bricks from taking down a wall inside the house. The bricks are from the 1880s. Any thoughts on a) is this a good idea, b) what kind of foundations would be necessary?

email image
17 messages