London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
12 messages
27/08/2013 at 14:24

I have used this website to solve other problems I have had but couldnt find any for this issue so I thought I would post my own, hopefully there is the answer out there with my fellow readers...

So basically i have two water butts and I would like to add another, the only problem is I only have one suitable drainpipe which is being used for my current two water butts so I have no available space.

Ideally I need to move all the water butts somewhere else and still have them connected to my drain pipe.

I have no idea!!

I have been searching the net and there arent many products out there exept for these two:

The Rainwater Hub (www.rainwaterhub.co.uk) and the other is call the Hydrobutt (www.rainwatersavewater.com)

I have never seen these products before and I was wondering if anyone has used them before for some feedback before I look to buying one.

Or any other ideas that may help me solve my small issue.

Cheers guys

Darren B

27/08/2013 at 16:37

I move water to butts placed around the vegetable garden when the ones on the drainpipes are full.  You can buy cheap water pumps to move the water from butt to butt or use buckets.

27/08/2013 at 17:08

thanks for the reply, I was hoping not have to use any electricty if possible.

28/08/2013 at 00:29

I didn't go into detail, but I also fill large containers by siphoning and then move them in the wheelbarrow then tip them into stragedically placed butts.  No electricity involved.

28/08/2013 at 07:13

Hi Darren,

I use a Rainwater Hub to fill 12 water butts that are dotted around the garden in various locations. Some are 120 feet away from the house. It fills them all automatically using no pumps, no electricity, and certainly no wheel barrows. I am not a million miles away from you (Burgess Hill) and would be happy to show you the setup if you are ever in the area.

28/08/2013 at 07:54

Wow that sounds good, plenty of water! i was up late last nite looking at both the websites and they both seem to do the same thing, the only thing is that the hub system is very expensive, do you have to siphon evey water butt to get them going? 

28/08/2013 at 09:35

I am an Aquarian, I love playing with water.  A 'system' would deny me the pleasure.

28/08/2013 at 10:25

Depends on how far the available space is in your garden, from the waterbutts already in situ. I have a few butts by the house and have connected more using corrugated black tubing(the type used to connect pond pumps). It works fine for me. Do give it a try and see.

28/08/2013 at 19:40

I was thinking about behind the shed, approx 50 ft away. Do you think that would work jatnikapyar? And how do you connect the water butts togather?

28/08/2013 at 22:38

Distance doesn't matter, the important thing is getting levels right. Just use garden hose to connect butts together. Make sure that the full level is the same height for all.

29/08/2013 at 09:33

Steephill is right, yuo can use the black tubing as I suggested or hosepipe which is cheaper. The connections are available at plumbing merchants in different widths.They are similar to the connector you must have used to connect up your second butt.

29/08/2013 at 17:05

Thanks guys they are good ideas and I can see how they will work. I think im going to try the Hyrdobutt from these guys www.rainwatersavewater.com. Looks like a good system, I am a novice at things like this, but can you see any issues with this system that i may have.?? I quite like the look of the idea of not having to any water butts stuck next to the drain pipe.

email image
12 messages