Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Watering can that won't drown seedlings and plants

Hi all

I've been using a watering can and have found that the water seems to gush out.  It can result in too much water flooding into containers.  I understand that of course the water pressure when the can is tipped will force the water out but I can't help hoping that some watering cans will give a finer spray.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I've heard of Haws cans (and have seen the prices!), I know they have a good reputation.  Do they have a finer spray than average?  Can you recommend any other cans please?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

You can usually buy individual roses for cans in GCs and diy stores. They're often rubber and will fit almost any watering can. A fine rose is perfect for little seedlings. I used to have a few different ones although they've been lost over the years.   

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

you need a rose on the end of the can (term for a sprinkler) and one if possible that is sort of up side  down as this gives a gentle spray of water instead of a harsh splosh.image

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

If you mean the bulb-type attachment (standard fitting on most cans) there's a rose on there already.  I'll see if I can find a replacement that looks finer.  image

Okay, I found a replacement rose (extra fine) but have read reviews on Amazon which say that the plate isn't sealed so the water drips from around the edge of the plate which results in flooding seedlings.  The rose is by Haws, the Amazon reviews are here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haws-Extra-Fine-Spray-Watering/product-reviews/B004R4STUI/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

What now?!  Is this a common problem with roses?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It can be a problem. Perhaps you could keep a small cheap watering can - supermarkets do them for a few quid - and tape a fine rose on with duct tape to hold it in place and keep just for seedlings. The ones made from rubber are usually better as they're tight. Perhaps so many people use a hose with those multi head sprayers that  old fashioned watering cans are being used less.

Who'd have though watering could be so complex! Maybe we could invent a really good one and patent it pariate? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

I water most of my young seedlings from the bottom in trays and use a gallon pump spray bottle if watering on top can adjust power of the spray to suit my needs. I only use a watering can outside when needed most times it's the hose with the multi head spray as Fairygirl says.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Like Andy I water from the bottom as watering can roses do tend to leak big drops and also have a large spray which is pumped up to pressure, the nozzle can be set from very fine to deluge. Even using the can on pots and baskets I water onto the soil though will use the fine spray of the bottle on the foliage early morning not in full sun.

A good metal watering can will have a welded Rose or two, fine and more open, it is all down to what you are prepared to pay.

Frank.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener Posts: 1,237

I use a fine fan shaped rose from Hawes which I bought from my local GC. The spray bit is brass but the rest is rubber so it fits most watering cans. Looking at their website the one I use is a No. 11, which is sold as a weedkiller rose but it looks very similar to No. 9 which is called a seedspray. The weedkiller one works well for my seedlings anyway.

My Haws extra fine Fine as Rain rose arrived today.  It's perfect!  It's such a contrast to the rose I used before.  Thank you so much for telling me that replacement roses were available!  So far there's been no dripping, so fingers crossed.

• lvoreilvorei Posts: 1
    Keep a clear plastic water bottle and pierce the bottle all over the base with FINE holes. Fill with water and use as a sprinkler to water seeds. Don't be tempted to squeeze ! Free and recycled. 
    Doxy