Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Watering Techniques

Hi all, I'm Linzi and new to the site....and very, very new to gardening!  I've recently planted some bee-friendly plants in a lovely trough I've acquired - and I know this sounds very silly - but I'm wondering how often I should be watering them.  As I type, the soil around them is moist and certainly not dry.  My husband maintains that they should be watered twice a day regardless, in the morning and the evening.  I feel that as long as the soil is moist, they're fine as long as I keep a close eye on them to ensure it doesn't dry out and then I'll water them perhaps in a day or so when it does!  I'm sorry to post such a seemingly silly question, but I'd be so grateful for some definitive feedback on this!  Many thanks in advance.  :)

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

I think you're right linzi. You don't want to keep them too wet. I poke my finger in. If it feels cool and moist ,it's probably damp enough.

You're aiming for damp rather than wet.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Posts: 198

Thanks so much, B3!  'Damp rather than wet' is an excellent guideline for me to follow as I begin my gardening ventures.  Have a lovely day.  :)

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

You too. 

In London. Keen but lazy.