London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
5 messages
22/09/2013 at 19:14

I have just deweeded my lawn and have a few kilos of weeds and my father suggested making a smelly concotion of something called weed-tea which, in a matter of weeks, can be used to fertilize the garden getting rid of those exy purchased fertilizers.  Can I use a 60 lit. container that has a sealed lid or should it be allowed to breath?  How much water do I put in, should it just cover the weeds or double the amount of water?  Can I keep it long or does it have to be used up within a short amount of time?  Do I continue to add weeds (any sort) to the tea or use up a batch at a time?  will I have to pour the tea through a sieve first and dilute it? 

As you can see, I have a number of questions as on YouTube some points are by someone else contradicted so would appreciate your advice and experience.

Thanks.

22/09/2013 at 20:39

Hello Possum2'

I've never tried weed tea, though the stuff my hubby makes sometimes raises my suspicions. 

On a serious note, I've never made weed tea. I just make compost with my weeds. It doesn't smell and it doesn't need a special recipe and it keeps until it's needed.

23/09/2013 at 13:49

These kinds of things are more of an art than a science, though "submerge, leave a few weeks then 10:1 dilution" shold be close enough to start experimenting with.

23/09/2013 at 15:02
possem2 this type of thing is usually with nettles or comfrey,dandelions are good ,bucket of water, sink the greens in weight them down ,cover 4 weeks ok , needs to look like weak tea ,i do 20 to 1 ,foliage wash 50 to 1, nettles are for leaf and stems growth ,comfrey same but contains more potash for fruit or flowers ,lots of advice on net and Utube.
26/09/2013 at 08:32

Appreciate your reponses.  I have made my weed tea but another question has now arisen.  Should I have cut off the dirt-riden roots from the green weed?  My tea is looking rather like chocolate than an Earl Grey!  Although it is now too late to change it, I shall have to see it through as it is but for my next batch (Springtime) would you recommend that I disregard the roots using only the green weed?  Or is this normal and with time it will eventually turn into that 'Earl Grey' tea? (Joking, of course)

email image
5 messages