London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
10 messages
25/05/2014 at 20:08

I'm looking to buy a set of good quality hand tools for my Sister for her 50th Birthday.  Has anyone got any favourite makes they could recommend or makes to stay away from?  I'd want them to be good quality so they will last for years but also look fab while not costing the earth as I'd like to buy a set rather than the odd one or two.

26/05/2014 at 00:16

You are a very generous sibling! 

I don't know about sets, though maybe other people will disagree when I say that I like, for example, spades made by one company but not their forks and so on. Also, I like stainless steel for forks and spades but not for trowels and small hand tools. Don't know why.

My absolutely favourite hand tool is a thing called a Ho-mi. It's a Korean thing. I got one from a company called Blackberry Lane (I think) in the West Country and they import them directly from Korea where they are hand made to order. Not expensive and they come with short or long handles. I am not connected to the company.

26/05/2014 at 00:25

Thank you for replying, I found it.  Never seen it or heard of it before but it looks really interesting and she will never have heard of it which makes it more fun.

26/05/2014 at 07:14

I don't know why they aren't better known. The short handled ones are very good. I have never tried one with a long handle. And I bought the smaller of the two sizes as I'm a bit on the small size myself.

The pointy end is wonderful for digging out things like dandelion roots, the cutting edge scythes through weed seedlings and the blade makes planting things in restricted spaces  or making seed drills in a flower bed much easier than a trowel.

I like their hand made quality too.

I'm sure your sister would like it very much.

26/05/2014 at 08:28

Recently saw a hoe with a stainless steel disc as a head only about 4or 5 ins diam.  Thought it great with very little resistance and great cutting.

26/05/2014 at 08:37

Kjdintown, good morning.

Whatever you get go for stainless steel tools.  Also for good quality.  Some stainless steel, ESP spades, are made of thin, bendy metal.  

(my best hand tools are my hands and fingers.  So useful and effective but I often have damaged fingers because of my impatience) 

26/05/2014 at 09:03

Take a look at fredshed.co.uk 
I replaced a lot of garden tools a couple of yrs ago and found the advice on his site very helpful. I got the Bulldog fork/spade set and they're excellent. The Wolf loppers are great and the deer-skin thorn-proof gloves are like an impenetrable second-skin. The felco secateurs are superb quality.
Pete

26/05/2014 at 12:04

Thank you all for replying, so nice to go for some different ideas rather than the usual garden centre range.  Verdun, I agree hands are a good gardening tool but not to sure she will be that impressed if I said she had hands so I didn't bother lol.  Hopefully, these tools will make gardening even more enjoyable than it is already....well, the results anyway 

26/05/2014 at 13:18

Point taken kjdintown.  It doesnt really do much for your hands either.  

26/05/2014 at 16:46

Wolf Garten quick change tools are well made and versatile, also Burgon and Ball tools are well made with a long guarantee.

email image
10 messages