London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
9 messages
08/10/2012 at 21:17

Evening all, new to the world of gardening, I am looking to plant a hedge along my small front wall that runs next to the pavement , I am looking for security and to block the view into my garden , I am thinking of 'firethorn' , good for the wildlife i have read. The hedge needs to grow to a least 6ft high and will be about 13m long,I have dug a tench 500mm wide and 600mm deep already

. I am open to any ideas or advice on my new hedge

Thanks

08/10/2012 at 21:58

Hwthorn is good for wildlife and grows fast but you need to keep it trimmed or it grows very thick very quickly - blossoms in spring for nectar, berries in autumn for bird food and thorns all year to make it a safe haven for small birds hodong from predators and keep unwanted people out of the garden.

Pyracantha would do the same tricks but be evergreen except in harsh winters.

09/10/2012 at 07:37
Nick Hays wrote (see)

.., I am thinking of 'firethorn' ,..

I don't have a firethorn hedge, but do have several individual plants. I think that this plant would make a wonderful hedge. It's virtually evergreen, so gives better privacy than hawthorn during the Winter months. It's thorns are far more vicious than hawthorn so it gives better security. The fruits are plentiful and very colourful. Visually, it looks more spectacular than hawthorn. Firethorn is available in yellow, red, or orange varieties.

I've never tried to trim this plant, as a hedge, so I don't know how it responds to trimming. Or how trimming effects flowering and fruiting. You would need to be well protected, including eye protection.

10/10/2012 at 01:21

Beech is nice.  If kept as a hedge it holds on to the dead leaves through the winter.

10/10/2012 at 05:56

Holly makes a good hedge and has all the attributes you're looking for.

10/10/2012 at 10:35

Holly is lovely but very slow growing.   I have a 10 year old holly hedge that was expensive to plant and is still only 4 to 5 feet high.

Further along, I have firethorn - aka pyracantha - which i've trained up a trellis to protect my honeysuckle form being munched by the neighbouring cows.   It was much cheaper per plant,  grows faster and responds to trimming, best done after flowering.   

10/10/2012 at 10:43

A snap of my firethorn, taken yesterday...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/pyracantha.jpg

All of these berries will be food for the birds during the next couple of months. Though if you were to trim the plant after flowering, you may lose the berries.

10/10/2012 at 18:14

To get beautiful berries like Gary Hobson's, I suspect you'd have to plant pyracantha in sun. Mine are in a North/West facing garden and don't produce quite as many berries. I have berry envy

10/10/2012 at 18:19

Thanks everyone ,   going for the firethorn hedge , looks good , as pic above , great for the wildlife - the local blackbirds are going to love it and its going to stop anyone climbing over and looking in

Just need to order it now - is it best online or shall i pop into a garden centre ? need about 13m , about 5 plants to a metre i have read , is that right ? 

email image
9 messages