London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
22/08/2013 at 10:23

Hi All,

In the spring I killed off alot of moss (the front garden was nearly as much moss as grass) as I don't think the previous owners had ever done it, and then scarified it out.

Now we are reaching september I am thinking about making the lawn look less like a bomb field.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29723.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

The grass is now very clumpy and i need to fill in the gaps. Whats going to be the best technique to overseed, mix seed with something from the garden centre?

My guess is I'll mix the seed with some sort of soil that ill buy, rake around and pull out any weeds and then just chuck down the soil grass mix and keep it watered if we have a dry September?

When walking over the lawn its very bumpy, will filling in the no grass areas sort this out a bit or is that a seperate issue to sort?

22/08/2013 at 10:24

Afraid what that lawn needs is regular mowing, medium height, at least once a week - it would've filled in it's own gaps if you'd done that since the spring 

22/08/2013 at 10:25

Afraid what that lawn needs is regular mowing, medium height, at least once a week - it would've filled in its own gaps if you'd done that since the spring 

22/08/2013 at 10:58

So would you now just mow it once a week through to october, leave it and then regularly mow next year? There are frequent large gaps with little to no grass, about 1 meter by 1 metre.

22/08/2013 at 20:54

Over seeding it won't do it any harm Adam.  Aerating it before seeding will help as well - go over it with a garden fork down to about 4-6" deep.  Rake over it lightly, seed it and lightly top dress it during Sept and fingers crossed.  If you can, try and give it a mow in autumn - just take the top off of it. 

email image
5 messages