Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What we are doing this week

Today, I managed to do about 4 hours in my little plot, tidying up the flowerbeds, cutting back bits of the pear tree and chopping and bagging those bits to be kindling for next winter.

What has everyone else been doing in the garden this week?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Rescued more yclamen from the flood waters. Moved seeded primroses from the garden to the meadow. Moved a heptacodium, getting a bit big for me to move but it was so dry here last winter I didn't do it. Got more leaves of the hellebores.

Thought about moving a tree/shrub paeony that's disappearing under Viburnum rhytidophyllum but couldn't face all those little bristles down my back today. I'll do it tomorrow.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I was going to plant a cherry 'Stella' that arrived yesterday, but by the time got back from GC (buying a stake) heavens had opened, It WILL have to be planted tomorrow. The bed it is going into also needs to be topped up with manure as it is new rhubarb patch. So tomorrow, come what may it will all be done as it is bare root.

Also now have a couple of shrubs to plant that fell into my GC trolley image and I have to manure my  raised bed , for pulses. Always leaves to clear. So will attempt most tomorrow image

• I started to clean the patio and steps of their slime and dig out weeds from in between the  slabs and planting foxglove re placements and left overs into border and wondering if it is going to stay dry.......no rain again.image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

It's supposed to be dry/drier up here by the end of the week so I hope to:

1. Go to tip with rubbish that's been dumped in greenhouse.

2. Clean out the greenhouse!

3. If any chance, do the fruit bush pruning & find the netting & supports ready to prevent bullfinch attack!

4. Start to clean out & tidy up in the shed & probably go to the tip again! image J.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Winter pruning my four grapevines and pulling out the browned leaves of crocosmia as the new shoots have sprouted.  Cleaned miles of crazy paving paths.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Patio cleaned, some bushes trimmed, a couple of trees hacked to death (not very pleasant ones which self seeded and are in the wrong place for what I want to do this year. (dont worry all you tree huggers, I'm planting new ones). Just a shame our green waste isnt collected until April. Its not much help.. 

• Val40Val40 Posts: 1,377
    I looked at the garden from my French windows. Obviously, I am not a 'keen' gardener! Just can't get enthusiastic until its warm and sunny.
  • donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

My potting shed is now tidy and ready for major seed sowing. I've tidied up my Fucshias that are overwintering in the greenhouse, all of them are doing well. I so love to be back out into the garden, and it was quite a nice day out there today even though the sun didn't shine.image

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Need to tidy up my potting shed, it was broken into last week and they stole my lawnmower (not that I need it now but still).  Its all been made secure again, but I have to get in there and clear out all the rubbish now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.