London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
1 to 20 of 67 messages
08/01/2013 at 14:56

Today, I managed to do about 4 hours in my little plot, tidying up the flowerbeds, cutting back bits of the pear tree and chopping and bagging those bits to be kindling for next winter.

What has everyone else been doing in the garden this week?

08/01/2013 at 15:14

Rescued more yclamen from the flood waters. Moved seeded primroses from the garden to the meadow. Moved a heptacodium, getting a bit big for me to move but it was so dry here last winter I didn't do it. Got more leaves of the hellebores.

Thought about moving a tree/shrub paeony that's disappearing under Viburnum rhytidophyllum but couldn't face all those little bristles down my back today. I'll do it tomorrow.

08/01/2013 at 15:26

I was going to plant a cherry 'Stella' that arrived yesterday, but by the time got back from GC (buying a stake) heavens had opened, It WILL have to be planted tomorrow. The bed it is going into also needs to be topped up with manure as it is new rhubarb patch. So tomorrow, come what may it will all be done as it is bare root.

Also now have a couple of shrubs to plant that fell into my GC trolley  and I have to manure my  raised bed , for pulses. Always leaves to clear. So will attempt most tomorrow 

08/01/2013 at 15:35

I started to clean the patio and steps of their slime and dig out weeds from in between the  slabs and planting foxglove re placements and left overs into border and wondering if it is going to stay dry.......no rain again.

08/01/2013 at 15:52

It's supposed to be dry/drier up here by the end of the week so I hope to:

1. Go to tip with rubbish that's been dumped in greenhouse.

2. Clean out the greenhouse!

3. If any chance, do the fruit bush pruning & find the netting & supports ready to prevent bullfinch attack!

4. Start to clean out & tidy up in the shed & probably go to the tip again! J.

08/01/2013 at 15:54

Winter pruning my four grapevines and pulling out the browned leaves of crocosmia as the new shoots have sprouted.  Cleaned miles of crazy paving paths.

08/01/2013 at 16:22

Patio cleaned, some bushes trimmed, a couple of trees hacked to death (not very pleasant ones which self seeded and are in the wrong place for what I want to do this year. (dont worry all you tree huggers, I'm planting new ones). Just a shame our green waste isnt collected until April. Its not much help.. 

08/01/2013 at 16:28
I looked at the garden from my French windows. Obviously, I am not a 'keen' gardener! Just can't get enthusiastic until its warm and sunny.
08/01/2013 at 17:18

My potting shed is now tidy and ready for major seed sowing. I've tidied up my Fucshias that are overwintering in the greenhouse, all of them are doing well. I so love to be back out into the garden, and it was quite a nice day out there today even though the sun didn't shine.

08/01/2013 at 17:30

Need to tidy up my potting shed, it was broken into last week and they stole my lawnmower (not that I need it now but still).  Its all been made secure again, but I have to get in there and clear out all the rubbish now.

08/01/2013 at 19:41

Some generally tidying of brambles and ivy that are trying to take over. OH will be preparing the veg plot/space.Lots of looking and pointing at the Spring bulbs and some seed sowing. Should really go to the tip to get rid of stuff as well.

Sorry to hear about the break in disco dave

09/01/2013 at 14:33

I am going to sow the onion seeds this week. So hopefully they get the long growing season they need to produce big bulbs.

09/01/2013 at 15:05

Didn't get into the garden yesterday but had a potter with my plants this morning which I enjoyed. It was a sort of catch-up morning to make some soup, stew some apples and deal with those irritating bits of business before I had time with my plants that I am overwintering in my kitchen which could almost be called a cold frame! Also potted up my very late garlic following a tip I received this morning - have put a new thread in the forum in case it can help others.

Am envious of the cherry tree and hope you managed to get it in today as it has been lovely here in Cambridge. I have inherited two apple, one pear and a plum tree but the fruit was damaged so have put those sticky bands on so hopefully that will inprove the crop.

Is anyone chitting potatoes yet and if so, which ones?

09/01/2013 at 17:08

discodave, so sorry about break-in

happymarion, how did you clean the crazy paving?

girasole, I looked at seed potatoes yesterday in cheap shop but packet said don't plant till March and previous experience says they could go mouldy before then, i now buy them only 4 weeks before planting, but am not a spud expert.

09/01/2013 at 17:16

artjak, thanks for the tip

S.

09/01/2013 at 17:29

Managed to plant all plants, 3 rhubarb, cherry, raspberries, + 2shrubs bought yesterday. Lovely dat but now very achey.

I looked at seed potatoes but think it seems much to early. real cold weather hasn't come yet.

09/01/2013 at 18:37

Reshaped the lawn, (too many straight edges for my liking) cleaned the greenhouse, checked all my new bulbs that are in pots until I know where I'm putting the. Can they be replanted once they have started growing? 

Cleared the arch of old bird feed hangers, emptied out my Belfast sink for the new water feature, moved that and put some massive cobble stones from a ruined dry stane dyke in the inside and around the outside for the wee froggies I'm hoping to have in there, dug up the new bed round the lawn (Other side still to do but just don't have the energy for any more today) Added some compost in the bed...planted it up, planted my toilet with parsley in the hope he comes back anndddd, gave all my little residents a wee clean and spruce up. Phew. No wonder I feel my muscles tonight  Had a ball of a day. Will think about tomorrows jobs tonight 

09/01/2013 at 18:39

Planted into garden today a pot of cammasia that are sprouting.

09/01/2013 at 18:44

Well Sam Glendinning, it sounds like you have had a very productive day. I am impressed.. If your muscles arent hurting too much, would you like to come to mine and help me . Not sure about planting your toilet with parsley, wont that be tricky when you need to do numbers?

09/01/2013 at 18:49
Sam, I constantly move bulbs when in growth.....as long as they arent in flower.....with plenty of soil. Not sure I fancy eating parsley growing in your toilet. Giving your "little residents a WEE clean" too???
1 to 20 of 67 messages