London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
19 messages
14/04/2013 at 16:35

Finally the sun is now on my greenhouse but I'm worried about my seedlings as the temp is reading 30C. I bought some clips specially designed for aluminium greenhouses to hold shading/bubble wrap/plant ties but they're slightly too big for the groove. I foolishly thought they would be a standard fit but life's never that straightforward! Any suggestions? Many thanks.

14/04/2013 at 18:38

Try using some foam sheets (or shapes) that you can buy for crafts, cut some pieces from it to fit in the space between the clips you bought, don't know if it would work but worth a try It doesn't cost much to buy so if it didn't work I'm sure some children would make good use of it

15/04/2013 at 10:14

Thanks for your suggestion Pauline, but the clips are too big for the groove, not the other way round and so when I try to twist them into the groove they split. Maybe I'll have to use paint?

15/04/2013 at 10:43

Julie, Do not use paint you will regret it, open the door and any vents and a couple of buckets of water on the floor will help cool it.
My greenhouse is South facing so I fitted extra vents, they can be manual or automatic at the ends so door open one end vents open the other a cooling draught wafts through.
I also use a cooling fan on hot days if ever we get any and individual plants can have a bit of green mesh hung over or around them.
The plants need the sun just as we do so shading the whole greenhouse defeats the object. If we have a heat wave lift your trays outside into a sheltered place during the day and put them back at night.
I have a bench outside in a nice sunny sheltered spot and put the trays on that during the hot part of the day, and yes I do vaguely remember hot parts of the day, once upon a time.

Frank.

15/04/2013 at 12:17

Best place for shading is on the outside of the glass, that way it stops the inside from heating up. We use green shade natting draped over the ridges. But the best way of all, is to put wooden sltas over the roof, expensive though.

15/04/2013 at 14:11
crikey Frank youv got a good memory
16/04/2013 at 08:30

Thanks Palaisglide and Berghill - I'm glad you said no to the paint I didn't like the idea as plants seem to thrive in the sun unless it's too hot.

Yesterday I managed to find some metal fixings that work and today I'm going to try and put up netting in such a way that I can fold it back for the early morning sun (as I sit here looking out at a miserable grey day) 

16/04/2013 at 10:38

JulieS2, exactly, and why I never shade the greenhouse these days it is a waste of time and money. Being retired I am always about so "if and when" we get a scorching day I can simply open every vent wet the flags and gravel then drape some net or even put a couple of loose plywood boards in position to shade the plants and having a fan I put it on fast blow. Never had scorch on plants and tomato's love the sun, I keep them what I call finger damp not soaking, dip a finger in if it comes out with a bit of soil stuck to it well and good if it comes out muddy not good and if it comes out clean as it went in well very not good. Bottomless pots on gravel I find best, you water the gravel and every couple of weeks top up the pot with more compost. When everyone around me lost their tomato's to blight mine were OK.
All this is from my own experience over many years others do things in a different way, there are no right or wrong ways it is what suits you and the way you garden, when I was working all day I did things in a different way.

Frank.

17/04/2013 at 21:54

Thanks Frank there's nothing like real practical advice from many years of experience. I used your 'finger damp' tip today. I'll be relying on your advice again!

Julie

18/04/2013 at 10:09

Julie, you are welcome, that is why we post on this site to pass on our knowledge usually gained by making big mistakes.
I was lucky in that my Father was a very keen gardener so it was drummed into me from an early age, then of course we often get castigated for being old fashioned by some, it worries me not.
Every few years we old timers come into our own such as now people are throwing out decking and patio's to plant up vegetable gardens, the need to eat cuts through all the modern fads.

Frank.

24/10/2013 at 21:19

I know the winter is here now, but last summer I was recording temperatures up to 52C in my greenhouse, ....like Death Valley!. It's a new greenhouse with auto vents and I do leave the door open and damp down but it doesn't seem to really lower the temperature. Any other shading from the inside ideas guys? It is a Hartley greenhouse if that helps. I shall be growing cacti next year is so.

24/10/2013 at 21:30

There's a whitewash type product I've found helps, though it's recommended for outside rather than in.

24/10/2013 at 22:36

..I've used that paint stuff on the outside...it's very useful, easy to apply and easy to wipe off...you can do just selected panes if you wish... however, I don't recommend it if growing produce, like tomatoes, as they need all the sun....

25/10/2013 at 08:08

I haven't got a greenhouse, but I wonder if covering it with some of that sunshade for cars would work (don't know the name):

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33013.jpg?width=467&height=350&mode=max

Just an idea!

25/10/2013 at 10:33

Only if you wanted to grow plants in the dark

25/10/2013 at 12:59
Fleurisa wrote (see)

Only if you wanted to grow plants in the dark

Haha, another smart fart! I doubt if covering the roof would make a greenhouse dark, they do have sides as well!

25/10/2013 at 16:53

Paint is called "cool glass" I have used it for years,no problem with growing tomatoes,cucumbers etc,it still lets the light in,and is easy to wash off if needed.

25/10/2013 at 17:43

That's the stuff, it's excellent, doesn't come off when it rains but wipes off when you need it to. 

22/04/2014 at 19:58
I went to work today and forgot to open the windows and the door, when I came home it was reading 39oc. My tomatoes did get scorched and most other things were not happy.
email image
19 messages