London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
10/08/2013 at 15:04

Ive been counting my blessings today ref being fit enough to get around the garden without any help from people or sticks/wheelchair etc,

But what about those who have now been delt a bad card in life and find for verious reasons they're now unable to be as active as they once wer'e!!!!

Is gardening as a hobby to much for such people?

Well ive met a few people in that very situation and one thing ive found repeated time & time again is that these people have the most strongest will power you have ever seen,

But how can they garden and get results?

A bit of thought and a plan,

Whats that saying "something " about if you cant get to the mountain then bring the mountain to you (or something like that)

So why not make the gardening a bit different!

You can't bend down to the soil so lets try raising the soil to your level or at least the chair level or kneeling level,

With a bit of initial planning a raised bed garden can really work,

And the good thing about raised beds is that they are easy to weed and are kinder on the eye and mind,

what im talking about here is "lets say you have a boxed area 10 feet long by 6 feet wide, with plenty of space all around this boxed area for a wheel chair to be used,

By being able to weed 3 feet on one side and then go to the other side and repeat the 3 feet weeding you'll soon be able to weed the complete bed in one go!!!!

unlike if you have a plot thats 20 feet long by 15 feet wide and needs weeding

"you'll soon find how quick the weeds re-start growing before your at the far end and after a days weeding that final look before you call it a day and the sight is still more weeds to be delt with next time "isn't a nice sight,

With raised beds you can deal with one bed at a time and finsh the jobs quicker hence you'll soon be growing a variety of crops or flowers before you know it,

Protection from birds is made easy via sections of small wire covers to keep birds at bay,

You can even make covers to act as a mini greenhouse or cold frame to speed up seeds etc,

The beauti of raised beds is 'it's your task and for you to keep in order"

Time on your hands with nothing to do can and is a killer, So if you've never done any gardening and you find it difficult to kill time because your not able to move about as you once did!

This is a thought well worth thinking about "raised beds".

10/08/2013 at 15:54

I think most people would be hard-pressed to reach 3ft over a bed to tend the plants and weed.  4ft wide beds are usually recommended and of course narrower beds might be more suitable.

10/08/2013 at 23:03

Welshonion

I said approx 3 ft on both sides and i would'nt say 3 feet if i thought it was out of the question, but im sure such people needing a bit of help to do such a hobby will decide on what they can reach & have the beds for their reach, "wouldn't you?

Why is it that for the second time in as many weeks you seem to find fault with my

threads, are you some sort of trouble maker? Or just cant find a subject to write about of your own?

My intention is to try and help people and that's all,

Ive plenty to do with my time without dealing with people like you,

10/08/2013 at 23:10

High enough raised beds require a lot of making, cost and timewise,  and a lot of filling. I agree with welshonion. I doubt that many people in a wheelchair could lean over 3ft to weed.

11/08/2013 at 07:24

And as ive said thes epeope have a lot of get up and go and time on their hands,if they want a wider or narrower bed then im sure they've the brain to do just what they want,

Your average arm length is two feet, without leaning out, why dont you go into the garden sit in a chair or on the side of the border and see just how far you can reach and then comment on this idea before you knock or agree with others.,?

The trouble with so called normal people is they expect everything to be easy, your remark ref taking time to make and how much filling is required, !!!!

Im taking about a long term project to help these people not a quick two minute thing, gardening to those who've done it for any time will tell you the biggest problem for the knew to gardening is the same as the little kid who has a plant planted for them "they keep pulling it up to see if its growing, ie PATIENCE

Its what every gardener must have if they are ever hoping to suceed, Nature wont go any faster just to please you.

If you we're in a situation that the rest of your life was taken up by time and "Not" being able to do what you once did wouldnt you want a challenge in your life?

Or did you think every thing should be quick and easy?

You doubt all you like, but the idea was for those who'd say my body may have changed but the rest of me has needs and using my time to do things is one off a them,

Thank christ not everyone is a giver upper or knock it before ive tried it,

before they've even started and again thank christ some people dont keep looking at how many problems they can fine in life.

Did you know they've invented the wheel ?

11/08/2013 at 07:30

So, 2 people have attempted to make helpful suggestions and you're complaining.

This won't be a thread for me.

11/08/2013 at 09:14

As I do a lot of weeding  sitting on the ground,especially when my arthritis is playing up,I know exactly how far I can reach.

11/08/2013 at 09:17

Oh , and I,'ve never been normal in my life , and I,m not starting now.

11/08/2013 at 22:58

Good for you fidgetbones.

email image
9 messages