Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

chicky

Saw a bit in the paper earlier that said now was the time to cut Group 3 clematis down to 12-18inches.  I normally wait til March - what do others think ( thought i'd check before wielding those secateurs)

Dovefromabove

Hi Chicky   this may be of help 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/confused-by-my-group-3-clematis/234593.html

BobTheGardener

Tricky, chicky, this year!  I normally wait until the end of Feb or mid-March, depending on the weather.  Cutting them back encourages them to start shooting and there's always a danger of a hard frost killing the new growth.  If you do it now and there are no hard frosts them you'll get early blooms but if we get hit by an actual winter arriving then you'll regret doing it now.  Personally, I'm leaving mine for now.

Berghill

Just starting on ours, but that is because we have over 50 of them and it takes a while to get round to them all.

I do the most exposed ones first and they tend not to shoot for a while yet even when mild like this.

Fairygirl

I've got lots of new shoots on some of mine but I'll leave them for a little while. They were partially cut back anyway last autumn as they had all been in pots and I was moving them into their new beds.  They're all fairly well sheltered by other plants so I hope any new shoots will survive if we suddenly get a severe cold snap.

Advertisement

Daintiness

I'm in Essex and did mine today. The top growth had started sprouting already so I cut back and mulched it to help protect the base of the plant/new growth.

chicky

Thanks all - might leave it a couple of weeks longer - and maybe do my roses at the same time

Sign up or log in to post a reply