Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hi all i need one of these i dont know what its called or where i can get one can anyone help me?


i have a similar tool made from bending the tines of a small fork.  is it for short handle or long?  a soil cultivator?

Try Blackberry Lane website. They are in Devon. They have a thing called a four tine tiller which looks similar but, of course, has four rather than three tines.

I am currently waiting to receive one of their Korean Ho-Mi hand tools and they seem to be a nice, friendly, helpful lot.

Its a long handled thing i have seen simlar four pronged ones but the guy wants a three pronged one

Do you have a blacksmith in your area? We are lucky and have one nearby. He can make just about anything but only works locally (and very slowly).



Google "3 tine cultivator uk" - there are one or two long-handled ones which might be suitable - ones by Wilkinson Sword and Spear & Jackson for example.

argos,homebase and wilkinsons (wilko) sell them.

argos had them on offer last week 

hollie hock

No idea what it's called.......there's a local charity nearby that may do things like this. Bought a long handled bulb planter from them in the past. They sell and repair old donated tools but they also sell them

They are called Tools for Self Reliance Cymru








In Norfolk and Suffolk it's known as a Crome and used for pulling manure from off the horsedrawn tumbril when spreading farmyard manure on the fields.

If you scroll down on this site you'l see a Long Draw Form or Crome. 

Hi Dove, there are a few sites (such as Spaldings) featuring Cromes, or manure drags as they are more earthily called.

The Crome and the Drags though have four times, Paul's client/friend wants one with three tines only. There is a nice right angled fork on the get-digging site though with just three tines.



The difference between a crome and a right angled fork is that with the crome it is the tines that are bent whereas the fork is set onto the handle at right angles - and I understand that is what defines a crome, whether it has two, three or four tines.  When I was a child in Suffolk these were still being used for their original purpose on the next door farm as they still had working horses, and I'm sure that many East Anglian farms still have a few in a shed somewhere.

The 4-tine tiller on the Blackberry Lane site is also different from the crome as it is the haft of the tiller that is bent rather than the tines as with the crome.

Going off on a slight tangent, the name 'crome' refers to it being 'bent' and may well share it's origin with the word 'chrone' used to describe a 'bent old woman'.  Indeed it is thought possible that  the Norfolk painter John Crome may well have had an ancestor with scoliosis of the spine, giving rise to the family name.

Of course, in Norfolk and Suffolk it is not pronounced with a round 'o' as in home, but the 'o' is sounded a bit more like the 'u' in push.  

I would scour the internet for Farm Deadstock sales and similar - you might pick up a second-hand one at a place like that.

Crome Yellow of course, society's dung all gathered together ...

Thanks guys heres more pictures of something simlar but still cant get one its used for cultiving the clay so needs to be strong i also believe its old so maybe cant get one now





It looks like the fork I tried to dig up a big rock with. Lol.

Sign up or log in to post a reply