London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
8 messages
14/07/2013 at 00:04

Can anyone recommend a good automatic watering product please?

When I go on holiday I want my patio pot plants to get watered. There are about 20 pots on my patio. Im guessing I need a timer unit on my tap, approx 15 metres of main hose, with smaller hoses coming off and going to the pots?

The 'Hozelock 20 pot automatic watering kit 2756' looks like it might be suitable.

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/auto-watering/sophisticated/micro-kits-183.html

Does anyone here use one?

14/07/2013 at 16:57

A few years ago I bought a watering system with central pods from which small tubes came out and were pegged into individual pots.  The pods were attached to the tap and had a timer.  However I had so many pots it became a nigtmare sorting out all the little extensions and some visiting critter dislodged a couple of the tendril feeders and I lost plants .    I couldn't bring myself to go through it all the next year.

I now collect all my pots together at the back of the house and put a sprinkler on a timer to go off for 30 minutes every night.   I carefully check the reach of the spray so everything gets some water.  It works a treat and is simple and easy and I can add or reduce the number of pots just by changing the reach of the sprinkler.

The timer is a simple Gardena T1030 and I now have it connected to a Y fitting so I can run two hoses and water the greenhouse too.   I've just got back to find all the plants looking very happy despite a week of heatwave.   Just need to put them all back weher they belong now - when they've dried out a bit and aren't as heavy!

14/07/2013 at 23:15

The sprinkler option sounds a great idea, saves messing with pipes and should give a good coverage. And it should be a cheaper option. I'll have look around for a decent sprinkler & timer unit.

Thanks obelixx 

16/07/2013 at 10:16

After researching and readig reviews Ive purchased the Gardena T1030 timer and their 250/2 sprinkler. Thanks

26/07/2013 at 01:37

In fact there are many products you can use. Such as soaker hose, drip kits, auto watering sensor, etc.

Here is the tips with product solutions for you. 

http://www.nbhuntop.com/page/water-garden-during-holiday.html

Hope you can find a best way.

Enjoy gardening!

Bill

28/07/2013 at 21:28

Thanks Bill. Im thinking of adding a soaker hose to my sprinkler, with both of them connected to my timer. That way Ive got all bases covered.

04/08/2013 at 19:58

Well Ive been experimenting with different hoses.First I bought a 15m length of sprinler hose from B&Q. This works ok and sprays the water about 12' from the hose. But when rolling it back up it kinks easily and I can see it snapping eventually.

Then I bought some Hozelock Soaker Hose which works great. I wrap it around the tops of the plant pots and the water soaks/dribbles out, straight into the compost.

Im actually using a combination of all three, sprinkler/soaker hose/ sprinkler hose, all connected to my timer unit. At least now I can go on holiday and not worry.

Heres a video I made..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQs3HovOzh0&feature=youtu.be

10/06/2014 at 12:10

Hi Bill. Yes the hozelock auto watering kit is probably your best bet. The thing I like most about it is its simplicity. You can actually get cheaper versions of the same kit, just without the Hozelock branding. Just search for drip irrigation kits.

Hope this helps. I would definitely recommend buying one. The link above is to the cheapest I managed to find.

email image
8 messages