London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
25/04/2014 at 11:46

Hi there,

i have just got a 4 tier mini greenhouse. type you get from argos homebase etc with the plastic cover and wondered if it will work the same way as a glass one?

i.e could i use a plug in heater in it for example? I need to look up greenhouse growing in general and what i can do but thought i would find ask.

many thanks

25/04/2014 at 12:02

I have a four tier one I brought from Aldi last year. It's holding up well although be careful to secure it to a wall or something firm as in high winds despite being full of plants mine disappeared up the garden.

I can't see putting a heater in it to be a good idea at all. I imagine most of the heat would leak out the unseal bottom and I'd be worried about melting the plastic.

They are very effective in their own right - I noticed a big difference with my tomatoes compared to ones I had grown in the garden.

25/04/2014 at 12:02

hi there, i also have one of those and have found it to be fine. However, i did have to buy a replacement cover this year. i dont know about using a heater in them, maybe someone else could advise on that. Mine is situated behind another shed so is very sheltered as well,i dont think they could be in an exposed position, think they might blow away!.. hope this helps...P

25/04/2014 at 12:18

Hi Polly, as a HS&E rep for my work, please do not use a heater of any description in plastic GH. Try and locate it on a south or west wall. The sun heats up the wall and radiates it back to the GH.  

25/04/2014 at 12:28

i dont use a heater in mine!..as stated mine is very sheltered so no need. I wouldnt imagine anyone would put a heater in a plastic greenhouse anyway!..lol...P

25/04/2014 at 12:49

They're not as substantial as a conventional greenhouse but are adequate for keeping the worst of the weather off things that aren't totally hardy. Just make sure you attach it securely to something- in an exposed location they take off ! Heaters would be a no no.

I grow tomatoes in mine as we just don't get consistent enough temperatures at night up here for them.

25/04/2014 at 12:50

i dunno. i mean if its air circulated and in the top part where there is plenty of room between heater and top of plastic.

mine is unfortunately against a fence as dont have many walls.

arent you supposed to be able to grow things earlier in a greenhouse? does the same apply to plastic ones?

and how do you stop snails getting in the bottom? I have had a thought of coverings the ends of the plastic with vaseline then sprinkling it with salt. wonder if that will work to stop them climbing up?

25/04/2014 at 13:06

I think you still have to take account of the weather filmbuffy. They just don't give the same protection as the real thing in more severe cold.

I made small holes in the back of mine and attached it with wire from the frame onto the fence after one disappeared across the garden last year! I didn't have too much bother with the giant snails I have here but they had quite a rough trek to get to the growhouse anyway as there's only fences and gravel around them for some distance! Perhaps the beer traps might be a better solution if you're plagued by slugs and snails.

25/04/2014 at 13:15

What are you hoping to grow in this plastic greenhouse? Fruits? Veggies? Where are you based

I think if you explained why you need to be heating a plastic greenhouse we might be better able to understand and help you.

25/04/2014 at 13:24

Sorry to hijack the thread a little - but does anyone have their tomatoes in one of these now? i have tomatoes on the windowsill still. i have a thermometer ive put inside the plastic growhouse and early morning it seems to be dipping below 10c - too cold? i do have a fleece cover, which i could use at night and take off in the mornings.

25/04/2014 at 14:10

erm. i asked about the heater as i know people use them to keep the temperature up when its cold outside for their greenhouse plants.

as i dont have much space on window sill etc. mainly be used to grow on seeds. mainly fruit/ veg i guess but also some flowers.

really want to see if i can grow things at a time when you cant grow things outside.

25/04/2014 at 14:15

oh and i live in south east london.

25/04/2014 at 14:32

Those little plastic greenhouse are good as a halfway house between the window sill and the garden. They're not heatable for tender plants but offer shelter from the wind and a few degrees of warmth for  plants.

25/04/2014 at 14:36

No it won't be the same as a conventional greenhouse but they are so useful to those of us who are unable to have the 'real' thing for various reasons.  I have three of them of various sizes so quite a little village.  At the moment growing in them are broad beans. runner beans, sweet corn, mini sweet corn, cucumbers, sweet peas, cosmos,sun flowers, cornflower, honesty, lupins and tender fushia  I use them to start off the aforesaid plants which will eventually go out into the garden and allotment.  You have to be careful of temperature and not forget to open up the front before you go to work as they can get very hot inside and then close them at night before the temperature drops.  As others have said make sure you secure it to something in case it blows away with all your precious seedlings.

25/04/2014 at 21:36

Hi Forester. when you open it up - do you open it all the way up or just part way to get some air in ?

25/04/2014 at 22:58

I open mine all the way up. Can get seriously hot in there otherwise.

26/04/2014 at 07:27

I open them all the way up, same as Cairnsie as they are on a south facing wall.  If the forecast is for lashing rain with total cloud cover I would perhaps open them part way but as a general rule it would be all the way.

26/04/2014 at 07:37

I use a mini-greenhouse more in the way I would use a cold-frame - they don't function as a greenhouse because they are too small which allows much greater fluctuations of temperature - I have them open all the way during the day and just closed up on cold nights.

27/04/2014 at 12:11

I have two which are full at the moment and as has been said they can get very hot in full sun so I have to open and close them to suit the conditions, at night if the temperature is set to drop below 5 or 6 degrees I either fleece them or put a plastic cover over them. I do have tomato plants in them which are thriving, the biggest difference with these plastic blow away's and my glasshouse which is on an allotment is that the plastic does get a lot of condensation which requires serious monitoring and much opening and closing of the flaps to reduce. I stop them from blowing over by forsaking the bottom most shelf for growing purposes and laying a bag of sand or heavy compost to weigh the greenhouse down this has seen them through some very rough winds in the past.

27/04/2014 at 13:38

Hi, me and my child are going to make one of these plastic  bottles ones. We have been saving bottles for months now and will hopefully start it in the summer. 

Does these replies relate to the plastic bottle ones as well? And the heater?  

1 to 20 of 21 messages