London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
4 messages
03/01/2012 at 16:09

Hi,

We've had terrible gales that have smashed a few of the glass panes in my greenhouse. I was wondering if it would be ok to replace these with acrylic or polycarbonate rather than glass. I know it won't look as nice as all glass but does anyone see any practical problems with this option?

09/01/2012 at 23:03

My greenhouse was smashed to bits in a very bad storm and I have replaced it with a plastic one.  I could not bear the thought of perhaps having to pick up all  the broken glass again, it was a dreadful job.  The plastic greenhouse is constantly covered in condensation, it "rains" in there all the time.  It is not as warm,all in all a waste of money I think.  I have used acrylic sheeting before and it goes yellow and very brittle, it also scratches easily and is then a cloudy yellow.  Maybe they have improved the stuff since I used it last about 5 years ago.

25/02/2013 at 16:18

We live on the top of the pennines, it gets so windy in the winter! Its an absolute nightmare replacing the glass all the time, not to mention all the broken glass that lies around hiddern for years to come. When replacing we tend to buy all our glazing tools from Dortech Direct. Works out miles cheeper.

25/02/2013 at 16:47
I don't have any practical experience of this, just had to replace the odd pane over the years, but thought this might be of interest. http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/acrylic-plastic-greenhouse-panels/

Sorry you'll have to copy and paste link.
email image
4 messages