5 messages
08/08/2013 at 21:52

I have 2 plastic compost bins that I would like to replace with wooden ones. Could anyone advise me as to the best ones to buy please? Some have gaps (which I presume would be best for ventilation) but lots of others don't. Many that I see advertised look as if you would have to dismantle the sides to get the compost out! I really don't want to go back to buying plastic so any advice would be very gratefully appreciated.

08/08/2013 at 22:31

Is the look of the bin important to you? Ours are made from old pallets and bits of 4" x4" for the frame. They don't look terrific but you are hardly going to take your guests for a trip to see them are you?

08/08/2013 at 22:45

I have wooden ones which I  like, however, if I'd seen these I'd have got them http://www.primrose.co.uk/easyload-wooden-compost-bin-small-449-litres-p-7528.html?cPath=38_7854&src=list_name .  With mine you can't remove the side to shovel the compost out, and since I hurt my back last year I have to get The Undergardener to do this.  If I'd got these I could've done it myself 

08/08/2013 at 22:50

Well you could take your guests for a trip to see that one. Very posh. And practical too.

08/08/2013 at 23:08

Hi, I have just built a double bin made from wood which I have calculated will hold 1600 ltrs, that's like 7 normal household black compost bins and it wasn't dear. It cost me £52 for the wood and £4.30 for some easy drive outdoor screws....click on this link to see a piccy....My Garden Blog

I built this for a client so I added labour, the wood I got was from a saw mill, I just gave them a list of the lengths I needed, to be honest, it's cheaper just to get the lengths they already do, their standard lengths so there's no extra costs.

For this double 1600 ltr bin I ordered the following

• 12 boards @ 1.8m long x 150mm width x 19mm depth
  • 3 posts @ 1.2 m long x 100mm x 100mm
  • 6 battons @ 1.2 m long x 100mm x 44mm

All this cost me £42 delivery was £10, screws were £4.30 for 100, easy drive.

This bin has a slotted front to get the compost in and out a bit better, I only really did that for the client as she's not as tall as me, I would just shovel the stuff out.

I was pushed to make myself after seeing the prices some folk were asking, a bin half that size was costing a lot more.

Hope this helps.

email image
5 messages