London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
10 messages
30/08/2013 at 14:24

O'my god I've just seen a  hummingbird hawkmoth in my garden flying around my hanging baskets at first I thought it was some insect flying while mating but I've just looked up  hummingbird on the SRB and it's quite common to mistake it for the  hummingbird hawkmoth woow no sooner did it arrive it was gone.

I still have no birds in my garden yet 2 months with bird food from nuts to mealworms and sunflower hearts. I'm going to have to walk around with a sandwich board reading "birds eat here for free no cats"

I do have a black bird that comes first thing in the morning 

James

30/08/2013 at 14:45

still waiting for my hummingbird hawkmoth CG. But did see the first painted lady butterfly this week

30/08/2013 at 15:24

I could swop you James- loads of sparrows,blue tits, robins etc but no blackbirds in here yet! I do love them - hoping I can get them in over the winter.

30/08/2013 at 15:33

Yes - they ARE amazing- I saw one in my garden a few years ago and had to look it up then.  Do you live near the coast because I gather that they occasionally get blown over here from warmer climes?  At the moment I have 5 different varieties of butterfly feeding on my buddleia and hibiscus, oh, and a beautiful turquoise blue dragonfly this morning!!

30/08/2013 at 16:01

I live in the midlands but I have Stratford Butterfly Park near me I think it must have escaped or something as I've never seen them around here before

James

30/08/2013 at 17:14

Loads and loads of hummingbird but no other hawkmoths here, despite an inexpert attempt at encouraging them in with a kirsch and bananas triple-decker ice cream sundae slopped over the trees.

Birds like trees to sit and hide in, Clueless. Do you have any largish, bushy trees?

30/08/2013 at 17:43

Yes loads out the front that are being trimed over the winter?

James

30/08/2013 at 18:11

Maybe they are still moulting and you will suddenly find your garden full of smartly dressed birds in a week or two

30/08/2013 at 20:29

Ww have had Hummingbird  hawk moths for several years now,one or two most warm evenings,they are especially fond of vallerian.

30/08/2013 at 20:33

I've been staring out of the window at work waiting for the Hummingbird HMs to appear on the buddliea I planted opposite my desk - we didn't get any last year (surprise surprise) but  we've had them other years.

I have been doing some work as well .... honest!!! 

email image
10 messages