Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Obelixx

Looks very attractive but Possum walked by while the picture was on screen and threw a wobbly.   Strange offspring.

Clarington

They are beautiful things aren't they.

Berghill

Wish we had them here.

Advertisement

Just slipped in before BREXIT - snakes have more sense than politicians I suspect Lovely creatures.

It is not a new snake for the UK.  It has been here all along and has been upped from sub species status to full species status.  In other words, previously thought to be a sub species of Grass Snake it has now been decided that it is a full species. Taxonomy.

Dovefromabove says:

That's what the article says 

See original post

Re read it.  It clearly states that it was previously a sub species of Grass Snake and they have now decided it is a full species.....happens all the time with different species/sub species across the fauna spectrum.  It's just because there were only 3 snakes in the UK and now with the upping to full species it becomes the 4th, a 25% increase in  snake species in the UK so becomes newsworthy.

"Professor Uwe Fritz said: "We discovered that the barred grass snake, previously considered a subspecies, is in fact a distinct species."   

Last edited: 07 August 2017 19:40:28

Despite it being venomous I do like the calculator snake. Never seen one up North - thankfully. 😺

Dovefromabove

Yes Redwing ... You misunderstand my post. I was agreeing with you.